Monday, May 5, 2014

Homemade "Instant Oatmeal"

South County Boy got a hankering for oatmeal the other morning... and we didn't have any more "instant" oatmeal packages laying around in the cupboard.

You see, I stopped buying them a while ago because they are really expensive in comparison to buying a bunch of oats... so I wanted to try to see if I could make my own instead.

I was playing on Pinterest and stumbled upon a bunch of different recipes to make your own instant oatmeal packets... so I decided to just make my own. Considering my husband eats 2 packets of oatmeal at a time (sometimes 3), getting those boxed servings would cost us about $3 a box... and that would give him only 4-5 servings.

Sprouts was out of organic oats when I stopped in so I just picked up regular ones... but that whole bag only cost me $2.84 (the picture of the bag was what was leftover after I made him his oatmeal packages). So it was definitely cheaper to make your own.

I did a double service for hubby in each container too.

Recipe: (Double serving)

  • Dash of salt
  • 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
  • 1/2 Cup of Rolled Oats
  • 2 tablespoons "oat flour" (I took the rolled oats and put them through the wheat grinder, but you can use a food processor or a blender)
  • 2 Teaspoons powdered milk
  • Add 1 cup water and microwave

I also made one small "regular" sized container for me.

  • Dash of salt
  • 1 teaspoon brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup of oats
  • 1 tablespoon oat flour
  • 1 teaspoon powdered milk.
I made mine with milk in the microwave at work (I think I added around 1/2 a cup of milk to it... maybe a little bit more.

My only suggestion was to cook it a little longer then normal since the majority of the oats are whole in the homemade version versus the "quick" oats you can also get in the store...

But what made me happy was that the taste and texture were correct... which hasn't happened when I've tried the from scratch stuff in the past. I think the key is the extra ground up oats that get added in. That helps blend the two together.

No comments:

Post a Comment