Friday, May 23, 2014

Ikea is discontinuing the worlds most awesome wardrobe...

Yup, the wardrobe we bought for South County Boy is apparently being discontinued from IKEA...

We were searching for it online on Sunday to verify how much money we needed to set aside for it next month and couldn't find it on-line. With the car repairs this month, we knew we were going to need to wait until next month to pay for the wardrobe, but not being able to find it online was causing me to worry so we got in the car and drove to the store.

We knew that it was in one of their "bedrooms" at the store and would be easy to find... after we went through the store we noticed they had changed the room "model" ...

I pulled someone aside who worked there and they got on the radio to ask about the unit. The store clerk told me it had been discontinued but I could check with the section lead to see if we could "still create" it on our own.

Unfortunately not. They have changed all the drawers and insides for their PAX system... But a light bulb went off in my head and I had her check the inventory of other stores...

The 5 other stores were out... But Covina had 6 of them... It was almost closing time so we knew we wouldn't be able to get to Covina and purchase the unit...

On Monday South County Boy called his boss and he told him he could come in late and work a half day.

We went to Home Depot and rented a truck and drove out to Covina and we were able to pick up one of the last remaining units in stock.

I'm really glad that this month is a 3-paycheck month for me. Instead of just dumping that check into my Roth IRA, we will be using it to cover some of the car repairs, and now the $487.76 we had to pay between the rental truck and the multiple runs to the various IKEA's to get all the parts.

Next month we will be doing a No-Spend Month (Minus my friends wedding) to make up the shortfall to my Roth IRA and get back it back on track.

Thankfully we were able to get our old dresser and night stand into my mom's garage with the Rented Truck before SCB had to go to work...

So our house is now covered in Ikea parts and pieces while its slowly being assembled...

But at least we have both matching units now for the room.

After my Roth gets "caught up" we are going to get some molding to make them look like built ins and then work on making our space look "pretty."

3 comments:

  1. Good thing you looked. Talk about lucky timing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right??? We didn't want to buy it this month with everything else that was going on, but thankfully its a 3-paycheck month!

      Delete