Friday, August 12, 2011

We get an extra $82 a month now!

Picture from:
http://www.indysnaps.com
If you remember all the way back when we were trying to figure out health insurance options for SCB and if we wanted to immediately add SCB to my work insurance or not... you'll remember that we decided to leave him on his parents plan (where we would then cut them a check each month instead of loosing all that pretty cash benefits from my work) and then put him on my account in January since he wouldn't be able to stay on his parents plan anymore.
So my husband called his mama up the other day to work out the details of how they would like to be paid (auto deposit... a check each month... a lump sum come Christmas)... and they said no.

They told us not to bother with it. 

SCB thinks that because he's "grown up" so much over the past year in terms of getting his act together that his parents are proud and thankful. For those of you who are new to the saga,

  • About a year ago, my husband went from sitting in a basement with no real "life" direction... to meeting and interacting with me again.
  • Next thing you know hes going to classes again at the university and not spending all of his time in their basement on his computer...
  • Then he starts talking to his parents about making huge commitments like getting married and moving to California... and backing up his thoughts with actions with a plan... like walking in the snow and taking the bus to school to save money on gas... and selling blood plasma and giving that money to his mom so he wouldn't spend it (That's how he saved up the money for my engagement ring when he didn't have a job) ...
  • The ring was bought, the question asked (and answered) and the move to California began when all his job leads dried up in Utah. 
  • Not only did he work anything he could out in California, but he was able to pay back the $1,500 he had borrowed from his parents, a loan that had only been growing over the years.... It took him 4 months and he did it all on his own and before our wedding too (a feat they thought wouldn't happen...)
  • AND then he really sent them into happyville. He was able to send the temp work packing because he got a job... and not only a job, but a full time job with Benefits and an eventual 401k down the line. 
 I'm REALLY proud of everything my husband has accomplished over the past year... and so are his parents... and with our loan to them paid back in full, they just want to bless us... which is kind of new for me.

My family only "gives" things with strings attached... and an abnormally large pill to swallow. So I was a bit shocked and this is really new for me.

So it looks like operation Roth IRA is going to get a little more steam! Even though we just did our budget last week or so, we will probably be revising it for other reasons as well... right now we are starting to feel kind of uncomfortable at my church and we may continue going to the bible study on Tuesday nights, but we might find a different church to attend on the weekends... but we are trying to figure that our for ourselves... and only time will tell there.  

2 comments:

  1. Those in-laws of yours seem like really special people! I was surprised when you first mentioned how they were LDS yet seemed to accept SCB leaving that church and marrying you, then they attended the wedding and were great! Now this generosity. I am sure they realize and appreciate that it is your influence and the love you two have for one another which has helped their son turn his life around.
    I am a bit surprised about your comments re your church, I thought you thought the world of it?
    So glad things are going well for you both.
    Best JanF

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we lost the building, we lost half the church apparently... and each week we dwindle further away. We had 4 people for our bible study this week (including my husband and I).

    On Saturday nights, if we are lucky, we have 8-9 people. (the band is three people... we have the pastor's wife and him, my husband and me, my "grandma," and one other person who occasionally comes)... its hard to envision the plans for our community when it just gets smaller and smaller.

    We are still sticking it out though for the time being, but each week we feel that it's dying more and more...

    ReplyDelete