Sunday, January 9, 2011

My First week as a Vegetarian.

So far, so good! I’ve been a vegetarian for 8 full days, and I think I’m adapting well to the changes. I did notice that I haven’t really been cooking much for the most part though… Part of that is because I’m lazy and I’ve been just having little snacks throughout the day (which is not unhealthy since I’m eating good food). Part of this was also because it took my body about 4 days to get used to my new diet. I’m glad I live alone right now because I was a bit gassy to tell you all the truth. So, besides one headache (solved by eating some canned chili—I hadn’t had time to grocery shop when I started on day one so I didn’t have many options at first) … It hasn’t been too bad.

I have been mindful not to eat just a lot of grains and brown food—which is tempting when people start out. It’s very possible to be unhealthy and be a vegetarian by eating pizza, chips, soda, etc. So I’ve been really mindful about limiting how much pasta (always whole grain) and crackers (Triscuits and wheat thins), etc that I’m munching on in one setting, and as a whole throughout the day.

I went digging and found a few vegetarian magazines I borrowed from my friend a long time ago to give me a good idea of some new recipes I’d like to try for week 2 or 3… and I went to the store and got some soy-protein fake chicken from Trader Joes… and some morning stars soy protein patties so I can make sure I’m eating protein (and I might as well try something new). I’ll work with those next week.

As this becomes more normal (and now that I’ve gone shopping) I should start moving from snacks to more meal type things… (but its been a stressful and busy week for me)

Breakfasts:
• Leftover Pei-Wei (veggie and tofu low mein)
• ½ Avocado on toast or some kind of bread (put bread in the toaster, cover with avocado slices).
• Vegetarian chili (canned).
• Quaker Oats Cereal “oat squares”
• Non Fat Milk
• Low fat vanilla organic yogurt (Trader Joes)

Lunch/Snacks
• Triscuits with pine nut hummus
• Wheat Thins with Laughing Cow Cheese
• Carrots with Ranch
• Warm Eda-name with Salt (leftover from Pei Wei)
• Fat Free Milk
• Hot Coco (with Marshmallows made with Non Fat Milk)
• Leftover Holiday Chocolates
• Pineapple (and grilled pineapple)
• Tortilla chips and Salsa
• Juice
• Celery and Peanut butter
• Celery with ranch
• Apple slices with Peanut Butter
• Avocado, mushrooms, pepper-jack cheese sandwich on toasted wheat bread
• organic roasted red pepper and tomato soup (Trader Joes)
• Organic low fat vanilla yogurt
• Spinach and mushroom quiche

Dinners: (Most nights I didn’t really have dinner… because I’d come home from work and make a late lunch around 3 and then have a snack later before bed—Like some milk or juice or something –I’ve been trying to get in bed at 8, and asleep at 9.)

• Spaghetti with whole wheat pasta, mushrooms, spaghetti sauce, Parmesan cheese.
• Small baked potatoes (salt, pepper, I can’t believe its not butter light) ..topped with sautéed zucchini & yellow squash with Parmesan cheese and garlic powder.
• Baked potato with leftover chili on top.
• Denny’s Vegi-burger… fries…. Side salad with Ranch…. And we split a dessert 3 ways (Apple Crisp)

I'm going to buy "good" bread when i go to the store so my sandwiches are yummier, but I'll eat the wheat bread I have till its gone.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck! It looks to me that it would be more expensive to be a vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try to avoid soy (maybe do tofu once a month)unless it's organic. Soy is usually GMO and heavily pesticided if it isn't organic. Also, try and stay away from processed foods whether you are veg or not.

    ReplyDelete