Saturday, June 5, 2010

It's not financially smart to go for a promotion at work.

With hiring freezes still in effect at work, I’ve been kind of assuming some of the job responsibilities of a position above mine… which could one day lead to a pretty promotion when the freeze is no longer in effect. The only problem is the job I’d love to have is currently just a 30 hour a week position. It still has benefits, but they are scaled based on the number of hours one works… and its a huge drop.

So I did the math. With benefits, if I took the job tomorrow my paycheck take home pay would be $1,086.79 a check (including current retirement deductions).

My current position $1,280.07 (including current retirement deductions) so there would be a Loss of $193.28 a check or $386.56 a month! Yikes!

Out of curiosity, I wanted to know if it ever made sense to switch to a part time job promotion over full time employment. If I were at the top of the pay scale for the part time position my take home pay would be $1,393.07.

At the top of my current pay scale now, $1,380.11

$12.96 more a paycheck is not worth the cut in benefits (especially considering how long it would take me to aquire raises to get to the point where the position turned a profit), plus i'd only be working 30 hour a week so my pension wouldn't get maxed (its prorated by hours worked per year with a little over lap incase someone has to take some extended time off without CAL to suppliment it.)

From a pure dollars and sense perspective, it isn't smart to make the leap... including the fact that the position is exempt from overtime.

Sure, i'd get to work less... get better hours... and love what I was doing far more than I do now... but the loss in pay would be so dramatic that it isn't justifiable at the present point.

Maybe one day they will make the position full time. I’d leap for that in a heartbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment