Monday, October 6, 2008

Retirement numbers after the plunge

At close today, the majority of my shares (i have almost all of my money in one mutual fund except for $300 that i accidentily bought of the wrong fund) were down to $9.00 a share....
  • Mutual funds are currently worth $6,228.61
  • Roth Ira CD is worth $1,000 (earning 4.5%)
  • Regular account $700
That puts my retirement income (minus my city pension) at $7,928.61/$9,000.00 invested for a loss of $1,071.39

My game Plan:
I'm going to basically wait until mid november and see what the mutual funds are worth. I won't buy in October. I invested too much in september banking on the government bail out plan NOT going into effect. But it was signed and that means this mess gets worse not better. The last time the government poured money into the market was around the Y2K/ dot com era... because people were worried there would be market glitches and the like with the new year..... and while they told people they would eventually take the money out when the markets recovered... they never really did take all of it out... (believe it or not, but this contributed to the housing bubble...)

Now Uncle Sam is pouring more money into the market INSTEAD of letting the market begin to correct itself and contact during this period.... So what's a gal to do???

Dunno, but this is my plan 2008:
I'm not buying in October-- which will be a first for me and that dollar cost averaging thing. It's going to take weeks (kinda like 6 at least) for the bail out money to start trickling in. I think the market price will go down from now till then... So i'll wiat for it to drop.
Come november I think the market will start to show light losses (not huge) to stabability around November and a slight gain in December as holiday spendings starts to spike things up.

So, mid november (about 4 weeks away the bail out cash won't be in there... and the holiday spending won't be too severe...) I'll buy more funds at this time... but only up to $700.00 IF its a good deal. if not, Hello CD

If the smart financial guys (who's analysis's i read) are putting their portfolio's in at least 40% cash--- (since they tollerate more market risk then my liking) I'm keeping my retirement money safe... and my safe, i mean smaller guaranteed returns.

My money plan 2009: (which I may change/ adjust as i see if my predictions are correct.)
  • Roth IRA CD's or savings acounts (depending on yield) ($4,000.00)
  • Keep $1,000.00 for mutual funds. If funds are crapy (or too erratic for my liking), move to CD's or Savings accounts.

1 comment:

  1. I've lost about $9K in my 401K this year. Its been really sad looking at those numbers. But keep your head up, your IRA will go back up again after the market corrects itself. ANd while I don't agree with us going in and saving the banking industry it is what needs to be done. Just think if we didnt, there would be less mortgages available, less car loans, and any other kind of credit. I don't know many people who can buy a house or a car straight out unless they have been saving for a long time.

    ReplyDelete