Thursday, October 23, 2008

Kudo's to "Gonna Make IT"

I have to give huge Kudos to Gonna Make It right now. She posted an article link on one of my comment sections of my blog... It said the following:

SAN FRANCISCO -- The California Public Employees' Retirement System said Wednesday that employers may have to increase contributions to the pension fund because of a decline in asset value, The Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday on its Web site. The nation's largest public pension fund said asset values have declined by more than 20% since June 30, which may lead to increased employer contributions of 2% to 4% beginning in 2010, according to the Journal.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/industries/finance/calpers-says-employer-contributions-rise-wsj/

What I meant when I said my retirement is secure.... Is that the amount I get at my retirement is guaranteed. They cannot change my formula... but what they can change is the amount of money I must pay each paycheck.

Currently, I pay 1 %.
My City Elects to pay the other 7%

The city used to cover the whole amount... and they just recently moved to have us pay 1%. If Calpers makes my employer pay more... I'm not sure if that will trickle down to my paycheck. But I'll be prepared if it does. If they do ask me to pay more then 1% towards it... it won't change the amount i'll recieve in retirement.... But I never was counting on the city footing the bill forever after that 1% change they made when I got hired.

I hope they won't... but it could happen and thanks for the heads up!

1 comment:

  1. No problem... I just saw Calpers and remembered reading it on your blog. I have too much free time and spend too much time reading the news. At least I can say I'm up to date!!!

    ReplyDelete