Saturday, June 7, 2008

The Scooter Debate, a mom update, and LIFE

It's funny that one of my readers mentioned this in the comments of another post because I was thinking about it just the other day. ...
now that you're not moving in with your mom, you can get that scooter to help (drastically) save on gas right?
lol. I actually thought about doing just that (part out of smite, part to save on the gas money--- gas is $4.49 a gallon now) but since i'm not moving home, i can't justify dropping 3-4,000 on a scooter to save 100 bucks a month in gas-- it would wipe all my savings out. In the long run it might be a good investment, and i may do it later on in the future (like if i'm married and my husbands car breaks down, we could get a scooter and share the one i have)... but i can't justify the cost right now. If i was moving home and didn't need to buy a fridge, or pay rent... it wouldn't be such a huge chunk of change i'd have to front. I'd go really frugal for a month or so, use my stimulus check, and only have to take a bit from savings... but that purchase now would wipe me out.

As for my mom--
I talked with her a few days ago. While i'm not sure she picked up on the finality of my choice (i believe she thinks i'm still going to come around the house, just not live there) she took it better then i thought she would have. She knew it was coming. The boxes in my room went the other way as i took them from her house, i spent less and less time there each and every time i came... I spoke to her less because i couldn't look her in the eye...
She told me she was going to call my grandpa and see if he could spend some time with her (I think this is a good idea-- she left me a voice mail saying she called him on my phone the other day). I'm going to call him myself in a day or so to see what's up. Maybe she'll get help and get clean... maybe she won't. For now, i need the distance.

Yosemite is coming up in a matter of days, and while I have a funny feeling its going to cost a lot more then i was expecting (just think gas as i drive towards northern california), im going to enjoy the trip regardless though. I deserve a vacation (not because i'm entitled-- but because i've paid off my debts and made good choices that allow me to pay for the vacation with cash and afford to put money towards retirement.) Even i know that going on a vacation and trying to save money in the same month are going to be hard, and i know i won't make my goals, but they are there so i don't go overboard while were away. =)

I also have a dentist appointment for a cleaning (that i need to reschedule), and for some reason it always costs me an arm and a leg even with my insurance. I need to reschedule because my fridge is coming the same day, and so is my bestest buddy!

I even got up early and made breakfast while i was still in my apartment this morning. (now that's a first). I guess the world likes me today, so i'll like it back.

No comments:

Post a Comment