Friday, March 7, 2008

Rates: Savings Accounts and CD's

This morning Emigrant Direct Changed its APY to 3.30% --The first time It has ever been lower the ING...

ING is currently at 3.40%
IGOBANKING is currently 3.86%

--->it won't be long before these two follow suit.

I need to find a better avenue for my 3 month emergency fund... but CD rates bite right now and today is friday.... which means it will take a few days to move the money from IGO to ING or BOFA to put in a CD.... and i can't lock that money into a CD until I move home with my mom because there is the chance I could infact actually need it! But I want to get in before the rates change....

I only have one solution right now, because likely these rates will change in the next 2 days.... I have to Eliminate some of my checking account padding.... which is huge.... I love my checking account padding... but its the only money I have that is earning less then a CD rate right now... and I don't want to pull money out of IGO because they generally "hold out" a bit longer before they change their rates.

I just opened 2 CD's at ING Direct.
  • $200 for 6 months (using all the padding from BOFA) eeeeekkk!!!
  • $500 for 6 months (using half the padding from Electric Checking at ING)
Both are earning 3.50% APY.... which is 3.50% more then BofA was earning and ING is earning 1. 25% more then the 2.25% it was getting in the checking account. (Interest will be deposited monthly into an ING savings account.)

if I can't handle the crunch and lack of padding, i'll just have to not spend as much to get it back in there.

I'm not too worried about ING.... it has plently of padding.... But i'm a little worried about BOFA because while I don't have any bills debited from that account ... My RENT and any Checks I write out to my church are... and my church hasn't cashed the last check I wrote out to them LAST MONTH!!!!!!! AND if my GREEK GODDESS FRIEND is late with rent again... I'm gonna be screwed unless she gives me a heads up and I can transfer some money from ING...

It's a good thing that i'm depositing all my march madness money savings into my BOFA account.

I think its time I go ahead and turn in those gas rebates my work owes me (i normally try and save them up for a couple of months and try and get $20.00.... but its time to get that money into an account)

No comments:

Post a Comment