Friday, September 21, 2007

I've decided!!!



After weighing the options around...and calling the one place i found for $900 a month [month to month... trying to sell the place]...

I'm going to rent a room from someone looking for a roommate or multiple roommates when my lease is up with D and B.

Cost wise, Living by my job alone will put me back around $1,300.00 a month [the cheapest place is $1,200.00 ... and i'd have to get some furniture.] and when you only make $2,200 a month, that's just way too much money to shell out for housing. I'd be living beyond my means... and my rent would equal the mortgage payment on a condo... [but buying is out because no dp, and who knows how long i'd be there... if a one bedroom would work in the long run...]

If i choose to live further from my job, even a couple cities away, the commuting costs will even it out in the end... especially since most of my friends live in my job area or surrounding areas... and i'd still be driving up to long beach to see my boyfriend.

So, reality hits and i know i need roommates... I'm not going to be stupid and get into a situation that keeps me screwed. But i don't really have anyone who needs and wants a roommate... all my 21-22 year old buddies are still at home or in dorms. Plus theres always drama. I think i'll try and find some people in their last year of college or up. I've always gotten along well with the slightly older crowd.

So, i figure if i keep looking, for $600-$800 including utilities... i can keep my transportation costs down, stay close to my friends, and have a liveable rent payment.

I'll be able to put money aside for retirement, future school costs, a one day in the future wedding, a house downpayment, and get to meet some new people. and I like people! I'm quite social like that.

Sounds like a plan to me.

2 comments:

  1. Hi -

    This is a note of reassurance. I am a landlord with a couple of places near schools - I rent by the bedroom, and I pay for all of the utilities (high speed internet and cable television are utilities). I charge just under $600. I try to run a tight ship - all roommates acknowledge that they are professionals, and their roommates are professionals, and everyone is co-habitating to save money. so far I have been really lucky. If you can find someone like me where you live, you should do just fine. Note - my ads appear on craigslist - good people on both sides of the lease agreement can be found there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup! That's why i've decided to go that route. I know there are a lot of places designed for this kind of purpose... and a lot of places that aren't.

    I figure i got a long enough time to get all that straightened out and I'm pretty sure i'll be able to find something that's managable.

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete