Friday, July 22, 2011

Making a point

Last year towards the end of our work "fiscal" year (July 1- June 30th), I got very distracted with the wedding and everything that I forgot about turning in my mileage (and keeping good records of when I was driving while working). My work reinburses us when we drive our personal cars while conducting business during our working hours.
 
Since I hadn't turned in slips for a few months, I probably tossed away $20-$30. Most of my trips are short, maybe a mile or two here or there when I needed to attend a meeting or drop off or pick up supplies from a center... but after a month or two it can add up... or at least it give SCB mountain dew money or me the occassional spending money for a drink with friends or to get my eyebrows done. 
 
So, I decided to make a point of keeping track of my mileage for this upcoming fiscal year, no matter how insignificant. I started a little note pad/ledger before I went on vacation and just kept track of the date and where and when I drove my car.
 
This morning when I came into work I noticed there was an e-mail indicating that the mileage rate was changing and going up (Wahoo!) so they would like employees to turn in their mileage from July 1st- July 6th because starting July 7th there would be a new form to use.
 
So instead of ignoring the email since I only drive my car around one day during that time period, I filled out the demand form anyway and i'll be getting a small check for $1.57.
 
Not much, but its a small start to transitioning from our spending spree month to going back to our "normal" life. 

2 comments:

  1. It's $1.57 you don't have now, right? It's the habit of doing it thats going to make a difference! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, $1.57 is enough to buy your DH a 2 Liter of Mt. Dew! It all adds up.

    ReplyDelete