Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Roaches, Cleaning, & Car

My sister isn't the only Pest in my life right now that I need to deal with. It seems like our life is forever surrounded by Yin and Yang, the good and the bad. It seems like because we just got some great news about house sitting and possibly more stable work for South County Boy, we have to get hit with something bad to balance it out.


Roaches
My downstairs neighbor just informed me that she found a roach in her condo... (her cat was chasing it)... and shes' having her unit sprayed and wanted to know if we wanted to get our unit done too so the bugs didn't run into our place when they vacated hers...   (Cricket Cricket)

Here's a little back story: My place was sprayed 4 years ago before I bought it because it was infected really badly because the renter living in it was a nightmare (It was her kids that took knives to the floor boards on the deck) and the same family that crammed 6 people into the one bedroom... plus pets. When I bought the condo I gutted the place and we removed all the dead bugs we found (a reason why I gutted everything to the walls and the concrete floor)... and its been fine ever since. So of course this is the worst time ever to have to deal with all of this. 

With the rehearsal dinner, wedding, and the honeymoon on our shoulders money is already tight... but this isn't something we can ignore. I asked her how much it would be to get the unit sprayed. She told me it would be $145 since he's offering us all a discount for having multiple units sprayed in one day. At first I was all gun-ho about it as a safety precaution because it wasn't too expensive and we could take the money out of the emergency fund... But then she told me everything I'd have to do to ready my condo for the spray... and i'd only have 2 days to do it.
  • Remove all the food in the house
  • Move all the furniture away from the walls
  • take everything out of all our closets and out of all the cabinets
  • Take a day off to let the guy in...
  • leave for 5 hours while the spray sets.... then air the place out afterwards and move everything back in...
So not going to happen after my 14 day straight marathon work week has just ended and I have a pile of wedding related things to do with only 32 days until the big day. I know for a fact that there aren't any inside my house right now... so we just need to keep it that way.

Cleaning and Repair: 
We went down to home depot and picked up a can of that foam stuff you use to seal cracks and other holes... We went around all the plumbing lines in the bathroom and the kitchen and sealed the holes just to be on the safe side (it may not look pretty, but its under the sink and it was a quick fix to a problem I had been wanting to solve anyways).  

We also picked up some heavy duty "stucko tape" to put along the stationary glass sliding door in the living room that doesn't sit in the frame perfectly to make sure nothing can crawl in if the window pain "falls out." It's bright red but you can't see it behind the shutters and we normally keep the shutters on that side closed anyway so for the time being its just a hidden eyesore. We are also keeping the house locked for the week or so 24-7 style and just running the wall unit when we are home to keep it cool (so my fiance can't sleep with the slider doors open anymore). We are also cleaning (and purging) room by room, a little everyday to make sure we get a good cleaning in of the condo.
 
We overhauled the bathroom the other day, sealing the space between the pipes and the wall with the foam and cleaning everything in sight. I also took everything out of the bathroom, vacumed out the drawers, and tossed a bunch of stuff out that we just didn't use as I put things back in their places. I also remembered that there are a few projects I need to finish up in there that involve some bathroom caulk. We attempted to fix them on the spot with the leftover tubes I had but they all exploaded out the back and made a mess for me to clean up so i'll have to go down to Home Depot again and pick up 1 or 2 tubes to touch up the baseboards, seal around the cabinet in there, and also around the tub where it meets the tile.
 
I also went through all the drawers in the kitchen and purged a ton of stuff that was just taking up space since somehow i managed to have 4 kitchen junk drawers???

Car
Oh and when it rains it pours. I looked down at my odometer and noticed it's 400 miles away from 60,000 and that means i'll have to take it in for its check up... I called and asked how much it would be and they told me I'd need the 30,000 mile check up which will run me $355.99   

???????
 
I got a coupon in the mail for the dealer (where I have to take it to keep the warranty still good) for 15% off so that bring it down to 302.59 about $23 in tax so I need to save up $325 assuming nothing is wrong with the car that's not included in its check up. We have $75 from house sitting, and $50 from a CC rebate check I sent away in the mail for and got this week... So we have to find $200 by the end of the month for the car. If we take my overtime we can do this, but it means we can't book our honeymoon... (which is already delayed until September...

Oh ya, and SCB was too sick to go into work on Monday... and it seems like he lost his gig there because he missed a day :( he went into Labor Ready at 5am and didn't get work... :(   

No comments:

Post a Comment