Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Change in Plans

Looks like we are going to have to tweak things this month... again. I called the cruise line to book our honeymoon and the week we wanted to go was going to end up costing us $680... not $380...
 
Apparently our "free" voucher is for a room with bunk beds that are mounted to the wall... So they can't be pushed together to make a larger bed... and since this is our "honeymoon" that will be a problem, especially since SCB is 6'5''-6'6''... and all the cheaper rooms have already been booked on the week we were planning on traveling...
 
...
 
Thankfully, since I did call yesterday and the lady told me that even though I was a day or too shy of 90 days advanced notice, she said they could let us book for the week before (I might have hinted it was our honeymoon on the phone when I sounded sad that they only had the more expensive room upgrades left and we were on a budget...)
 
So now we are going on our cruise on the 19th of September and with all the taxes and fees it comes to $540.70 (we will still need to pay for parking $60 and gratuity ($10 a day per person)... but for now we just have to worry about paying the $540.70 so we are pushing the car check up into July since I don't have time to take it in this month. (Saturday we are helping our church move some stuff outside of the building, Sunday we have my bridal shower, and i'm working M-F and then we are in July...)  so we can use the $350 we saved to offset the cruise money. 
 
I looked up how much it would be to book something similar on the cruise we are going on... and if I did everything correctly, 2 people would be charged $768.86 (including taxes and fees)... I love how they only have to pay around $40 per person in taxes and fees and we have to pay $180 a person for those same taxes and fees... Essentially that whole debacle with the travel company saved us $228.16 on our cruise since we had to pay those larger taxes and fees ourselves...  

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever been on a cruise? If not, you will love it. My husband and I went on our first cruise last year. It cost us about $350 on Expedia and it had two port holes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be our first cruise... and we have another set of discount passes if we want to go again if we like it... If not we may give them to someone else :)

    ReplyDelete