Sunday, April 24, 2011

Fresh and Easy Jack Pot!

I really and truly love the folks at fresh and easy... and the more I shop there, the more I get to know the people who work there. Last week when my fiance went shopping solo, he forgot his coupon at home and mentioned it to one of the produce guys... The guy walked into the back of the store and got him one to use that day so he wouldn't have to go home and come back.... Now that's just plain nice.

And today, while we were checking out, a nice employee noticed I was doing two separate transactions so i could use more than one coupon (there was an awesome coupon out because of Easter, $10 off $50) and she told me that the computer would allow for me to use multiple coupons in the same transaction as long as the total was enough... so I wouldn't need to split my transactions if I didn't want to. Otherwise I could split them to make sure, whatever way I wanted to shop was fine. We chatted while I was ringing things up and she mentioned how much she liked how organized I was with my shopping list and how me and my fiance had a good system set up. (I scan the items by type so its easier for my fiance to bag similar items together...)

So now that I know we can use multiple coupons without splitting transactions might just make me shop at Fresh and Easy even more... so yes, we picked up a few $6 off $30 coupons at the end of our check out lane for next week.

Since we budget $250 a month for groceries at $50 a week, some months only have 4 grocery shopping days for us and some have 5... This month there were only 4 shopping weeks so we knew we would have money leftover... especially since we wouldn't be going to Costco since we still have a gallon of milk in the fridge and my gas tank will get me through the week... Plus this week I also need to buy stuff for Mother's day dinner (a nice salad and an appetizer... So i decided to make bruschetta, because no one in my family can complain about that!) So we had planned on spending more than $50 this week...

Transaction One:

  • 4 lbs of Strawberries $3.99
  • French Baguette $2.29
  • Lite Mayo $3.29
  • Jar of Salsa $1.69
  • Two 8 oz cans of Tomato Sauce $0.78 ($0.39 a piece)
  • Two jars of Ragu Alfredo Sauce $3.18 ($1.59 a piece)
  • Can of Kidney Beans $0.79
  • 1 lb box of brown sugar $1.39
  • Apple Sauce (6 small containers in one package) $1.59
  • 1 lb frozen Edamame $1.69
  • 3lbs frozen Veggies $3.39
  • One 5oz can of tuna $0.69
  • Two 1 lb bags of Penne Pasta $1.98 ($0.99 a piece)
  • One can of Evaporated Milk $0.99
  • Hot Dogs $1.49
  • Marsh-mellow fluff $1.19
  • Cream Cheese Frosting $1.29
  • Two bottles of Ranch Dressing $3.78 ($1.89 a piece)
  • Italian Dressing $2.29
  • Ketchup $1.79
  • 42oz of Oats $2.99
  • Onion Soup Mix $0.89
  • Wheat thins $2.00
  • Triscuits $2.00
  • Crushed Red Pepper $1.49
  • Croutons $0.79
  • Flour Tortillas $0.98
Total $50.70, -$10 off coupon = $40.70

Transaction 2:

  • Comet Cleaner $1.09
  • Two butter Sticks $1.98 ($0.99 a piece)
  • 4 pack of yoplait light vanilla yogurt $2.29
  • one pound of tomatoes $1.99
  • 3 ct of Romain Lettuce
  • 3lbs of onions $1.49
  • Chicken Breasts $6.29 ($1.99 lb)
  • mushrooms $1.79
  • organic spring salad mix, 16 oz $3.99
  • Parmesan cheese $3.29
  • Chocolate Chips $2.49
  • 2 packages of Hummus $3.00
  • large eggs $1.99
  • tax: $0.08
Total: $33.77, -$6 off coupon = $27.75

Not only did we get groceries for the week, but we have enough salad fixings for the TWO potluck dinners we have planned this week... (Mother's day & Bible Study) and instead of focusing on just shopping for 3 meals a day, we finally made a point to buy snack food... which is really awesome because sandwiches for lunch for 3 weeks in a row is defiantly horrendously boring. Last week I just couldn't do it and made my fiance make a pot of spaghetti just so i could have that for lunch the next day... Its safe to say I've missed having yogurt, humus, edameme, and other girly food around in the house. We were trying to buy things we both would eat so we made sure nothing would get wasted, but now that we have figured out that our grocery budget is set up right, we can now add back in some of the things we really enjoy eating that the other may not particularly want to gobble up. (notice the chocolate chips... the marshmellow fluff... the hot dogs.... that's man food.)

No comments:

Post a Comment