Monday, April 11, 2011

Credit Cards

I called American express and also got them to transfer $1,500 worth of credit availability from a card I never use to my Costco AMX, and then closed the smaller card since I never ever use it anymore.

I also called about my old VISA card for Amazon (I never reactivated the card they mailed me a year ago), and I just wanted to make sure the account was cancelled, closed, etc... and they told me it was so I cut up that card as well. This wouldn't impact my credit score since it was already closed without my knowledge.

While also cleaning out my wallet, I found that I didn't have the current BOFA card for that account either (i had the expired card) and they had just sent me an offer for 5% cash back off groceries and gas through the end of June... so i called and they said they would send me a new card in the mail... but the lady noted that my card hadn't been used since 2007 and she was curious why they never cancelled my card due to inactivity... When i logged into my account, the card wasn't there anymore so I have no idea if the lady cancelled it??????

So right now, I have my Costco AMX card with 3% gas, 1% everything else and my HSBC card with 2% cash back on everything.... and 2 debit cards in my wallet.

I do have a few store Credit cards that I haven't cancelled and that I just keep at home because the credit lines are quite large... Home depot, David's bridal, & Kohl's...

Earlier this year I did close my Care Credit card that I had originally used for my invisiline because I didn't get statements in the mail for it or have online access to the account to make sure no one was fiddling with my credit and statements.

I've been "Cleaning House" because when I get married and change my name I didn't want to "forget about" accounts and leave myself open to identity theft. I know it will ding my score for a while, but I think its for the best "peace of mind wise"

No comments:

Post a Comment