Saturday, February 12, 2011

Retirement Update

While my pension is really cool and everything, I don't want to calculate it in my retirement accounts anymore. Essentially it's like my version of social security now that I'm vested. I won't be cashing out the account at 55 because I'll be using it for my pension... So, some changes are in order. Ideally I'd like to get a good mix of investments going so I can get a healthy portfolio of awesomeness built. I like target date accounts because they make things easier for me... but they generally don't go as conservative as i'd like them to be for what I need them to do. I know they will get more conservative as time goes on... but not the way I think they should (we do not want a repeat of the last depression that happened in the market)... but I need the aggressive investing too since i'm young... So i'm going to split my retirement subjects by my age. 100 minus my current age (24) says 76% of my portfolio should be mutual funds, 24% safe investments. So my goal is to reposition my accounts (once i'm able to open the vanguard account) to these percentages. So i've combined my retirement accounts by their type and made a graph... That Green area needs to grow.


Mutual Funds
  • Discontinued 401a account: $1,070.98
  • Future Vanguard money: $250.00

Money Market/Cd's

  • Discontinued 457 account $1,035.29
  • ING Roth IRA: $19,395.14

Once my accounts are finally all set up and open, i'll transfer some of the liquid money from ING to my Vanguard account to slowly make the porportions better.... but I can't do that until I actually get the $3,000.00 to open my Vanguard 2040 Target Date Account... than every 3 months i'll rebalance it if one sector is really growing and the other one is floundering.

Pension Value:

  • Cash in the account: $15,705.50
  • Monthly pension (unmodified) $557.05 before taxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment