Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Retirement overview for 2010

My retirement funds, (minus my pension) grew 2.14% last year... not amazing by any means... if I were to toss in my pension, Hot Dang! my retirement portfolio would be rocking since my funds grown automatically 6%, plus my employer throws in 5% of my paycheck in there on top of the 3% I put in... but I like to pretend my pension isn't really there.

According to U.S. Inflation Calculator, last years inflation rate was 1.1%... so for a year of pulling almost all of my money out of the market... i'm proud I at least beat inflation and kept my principle investment intact. I took some valuable learning experiences, and now I think I'm ready to invest smart.

for 2011, i'll be entering the target date retirement world in August after I have the $3,000.00 saved up that I'll need to open my Vanguard account. Hopefully I'll see better growth, but because I won't be investing till later in the year, my goal is to try and grow my money to at least pace with inflation again for 2011.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, my account grew 16 percent last year. You picked a horrid time to get out of the stock market.

    ReplyDelete