Sunday, January 2, 2011

The January No Spend Month

Besides my January Vegetarian experiment (which i'm hoping will lower my grocery costs), I'm also doing a no spend month. Christmas with the fiance in town did a number on my budget... and with wedding costs everywhere and my car needing its regularly scheduled check up... its time for a budget diet.

The Dress:
I got a line of credit from David's Bridal to pay for the dress. It's zero percent for 6 months, so I'll be making this my priority because I don't want to raid my EF for any wedding expenses (minus the deposit).

I put $607.92 on the card the first time I bought what I thought would be my wedding dress. Then all the exchanges went into place with my new dress (I put the alterations on my Cash Back CC so I had to also pay those in Dec) With the check I wrote in December heading to them, I have $300.00 left to pay off on the David's Bridal Card. Instead of adding to my EF (since I reached my goal last year a bit early) I took the extra money I had at the end of the month and filtered it to the dress.

Once that's paid off, I'm closing the account. I'm also going to be closing all of my other accounts that I don't use anymore. I know it will dent my credit score, but I have cards around my house that I never activated when they sent me the renewals.... and since I'll be changing my name later this year so it makes since to close my accounts as soon as possible to eliminate the paper trail and to make life a bit easier on me in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment