Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Wedding Dress + Deposit for planner etc

So I thought I'd found the perfect wedding dress a little while ago...The only thing I needed to do was get some pretty cap sleeves put on it and I was all set. I didn't need the poofy under skirt, or the "I can't breath bra"... & I found a dress that fit well and I was really happy with it...

Until I brought it back to the store to get the sleeves on it. The alterations lady didn't have a fabric material that would match for the sleeves, and said i'd have to go to Jo-anns and find it myself and then they would do them... They didn't have the original option I was show before that looked really nice with the dress... and the lady was being a pill.

My best friend saw the look on my face and knew that "the dress" was no longer my dress.

I told the lady at the front that I was going to find a new one and return it since I bought it off the rack and we didn't change anything on it yet. So instead I pointed to the catelogue and went with the dress i'd ranked #2 when I went hunting for fun with my mom.

So I got it altered on the spot and should get it back in 6 weeks. We also picked out bridesmaid dresses for my ladies who live in California. =)

The only problem was that this dress was cheaper than the first one... and I had to use up all the credit I had on the account at once.... and the credit I had from the dress couldn't go towards the alterations at all.

With some clever flair, we made it happen.
Original Dress: $549.00 (Returned)
Dress Bag: $10.00 (Kept Dress Bag for new Dress)
Tax: $48.84 (Returned)

New Dress- $299.99
White Beaded Bridal Sash $59.00
2 tired slip $50.15
Shoes $53.10
4 pairs of earrings for my bridesmaids $40.00
Bridesmaid Shoes 45.00--
Bridesmaid shrug 30.00--
Tax 2.34

= $28.68 that I paid

Total: $636.60

Bridesmaid Shoes 45.00-- Paid Back Already
Bridesmaid shrug 30.00-- Paid Back Already

New Total: $561.60

Alterations: (another 233.82)
Take up the shoulders on both sides $40
Hem $120
Bustle train $35
Add cups $20.00
Tax 18.82

New Total $795.42

The old total would have been 607.92, plus 53.10 Shoes, plus $50.00 for sleeve alterations, and 40.00 for earrings for the girls... plus i'd need to still bustle the train which would have been more $$$ because it was longer on the first one so i'd estimate that around $50.00... bringing that too 801.02. So the new dress was a little bit cheaper & I'm happier with it! I can't wait to get it back in 6 weeks!!!

We also met up with the wedding planner, signed contracts, paid our deposit ($1,000.00), and met the Bishop who's performing the ceremony.

Today we have a cake tasting with our wedding planner... we will finalize the guest list... and start talking ceremony lay out!

3 comments:

  1. Hello. I may have missed it from a previous post but which fund did the money come from for the deposit and the dress? Just curious! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really crappy that they tell you one thing about altering the first dress and then take it back and then will only give you store credit. I'm happy for you that you got the dress that you really want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my tax return will be over $1300.00 so I took the $1000.00 from my Emergency fund because it will be back when I file taxes this month.

    The dress I got on a line of credit from David's bridal. Its Zero percent, and i've been paying it off religiously with money from my budget. I'll post more details now that the holidays and all the travel are done. =)

    ReplyDelete