Saturday, July 24, 2010

What I've lost due to the ecoomy thus far... with a rosy twist

10.5% pay cut.

In Jan 2009 they cut out across the board increase from 3.5% to 2.0% for a loss of 1.5% and We still never recieved a promised 2% C.o.l.a. from a while ago TOTAL 3.5%

I went from paying nothing to my pension to 1% but recieved a 1% 401a so I considered that a wash... but then 2% of our salary was required with a 1% 401a... now its 3% of our salary, with no 401a but a one time 1% raise to help offset the initial retirement change.... so I'm calling that a combined 3% loss.

With salaries frozen I will not be recieving a 5-6% normal/average raise.

This doesn't put into consideration the lack of overtime i've lost when they froze that for a while, and the other possible promotions I may have recieved from jobs that they have been forced to eliminate.


But on the upside of things, I still have benefits that have not been reduced, a good full time job with no furlow days, a pension plan that **should** take care of me if I choose to stay here till retirement (tho i'm planning just incase it won't), and they have done everything possible to NOT affect employee's take home pay because they know a lot of employee's partners have beene effected by the economy. I have to say I really do enjoy working for my particular company because they really care about the important things, even if I tend to disagree with things on the day to day basis.

2 comments:

  1. Your cuts are not *actual* cuts. My pay was *actually* cut 6% this year. This is after 2 years of not raises at all, which were after miniscule raises of 2 or 3 %. Also keep in mind that cola has never ever happened for us. So I really think you can't complain. At least you weren't cut. At least you still have the scam that is pers even if you do have to actually start paying for the benefit like most of the rest of the country does for their retirements. I get you are frustrated, but when you think about it, working for a city gov is pretty good. I work for the uc system and get screwed left and right, but in the end, I am incredibly grateful to not work for a true state agency. Just make sure you keep it all in oerspective. You really do have it good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't saying I didn't have it good...

    That was the point I was making... I do have a really great job, and i'm thankful in the economy to have a job that is trying to do everything it can not to lay employees off, or reduce their current pay.

    ReplyDelete