Friday, May 7, 2010

emergency fund and money directions

It seems everyone seems set on 6 months of income and/or expenses as a decent emergency fund... (I have around $7,700.00... around 3 months)

Guess i'll be aiming for an emergency fund with $15,500.00 in it! Especially after the crazy market dive down. All my 2010 gains and profits are gone.

It's starting to make more and more sense to start stockpiling liquid reserves and leave the retirement contributions where they are for the time being instead of beefing them up. I can do that once the ef is in better shape... plus i'm in favor of paying down the condo as soon as possible as well... and travel is definently something i want to do.

I should be making around $43,000 this year since salries are frozen and we've taken a couple hits...So $5,000 to the roth, $342.72 will go into my 401a this year; $685.44 to my pension; then another $792.24 to my pension for the buy back i'm participating in.

Thats 6,820.40 to retirement (not counting the other $$$ my employer tosses into my pension) or 15.86% of my GROSS income going to retirement... and i'm not even 25 yet! (turn 24 tomorrow).

1 comment: