Thursday, May 14, 2009

I'm very fortunate

I was thinking back to that comment about how much my take home pay is changed by the fact that I don’t qualify for social security, and essentially don’t pay into it…

I’d have to make $1735.00 before taxes every paycheck to make what I’m making now, which is only $1,534.43 (including caf cash benefits) before taxes…

I’d have to make a base pay of $44,727.54 to essentially take home the same amount of money I get to take home making $39,501.54 as a base.

Dang…

Thankfully if I make a career change and become a teacher (since that’s what my degree is in) I’ll still be working with the Cal PERS system… but I’m REALLY lucky to have the job I do.

Too bad I hate it most days as it dries up my soul as I work for local government and hate most of the decisions they make…

I really hope they keep their word about no layoffs.

1 comment:

  1. That is a really awesome thing you have going for you! I work in govt too but we still have to pay social security. On the other hand, there aren't many jobs out there that pay what I make without requiring a degree of some sort, of which I do not have, so I guess I'm fortunate too and gotta quit being jealous about the social security. :)

    ReplyDelete