Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Crazy one, two, and three

CRAZY part Un

Got my first speeding ticket on Monday on accident… I put my car in neutral going down hill on accident and he clocked me as I was trying to slow down. I’m a bit bummed because it was a stupid ticket and I’ve never been pulled over in my life, but I think it’s also a bit of karma for my wilder college years where I should have gotten a ticket but no cops were around to see me sprint from my college via the freeway going around 100 mph because I was late for work a few cities away…

I’ll pay the fine, go to traffic school, and never get another ticket again.

The irony is that I’m the kind of person who puts the car on cruse control at 5:00am to the speed limit in the morning so I don’t get a lead foot when there is no one else on the road to pace myself with. I also refuse to go more then the speed limit and I’m constantly getting passed on the road every day. Before Monday I used to worry a copy would pull me over for driving too slow.

CRAZY part Deux

I put in 2 more offers yesterday….

A 2 bedroom, 2 bath, with attached garage 165,000.00 (it’s a fixer upper) This already has 4 other offers on it that are higher then mine (the highest is 195,000.00)… so if all four of those fall out I might have a chance. I wanted to put a higher offer in, but I wasn’t going to over extend myself and I refuse to let a year go buy where I don’t max out my Roth IRA. If I was married, it might be different with another income coming in, but alas, I’m not so I won’t be offering more then 165,000.00 unless I have the dollars to increase it (and therefore increase my down payment or buy down massive points to make it more affordable.)

What I’m really excited about, is the one bedroom, 1 bath plus small den with detached garage in an area with low HOA and no mello-roos. They were asking 190,000… but 3 days ago… it was dropped to 150,000 so I put in 155,000 (leave a little bargaining room). This is affordable, in a nice area, not to far from work and the grocery store and the like. The master is larger then the older place I put an offer on last month, so the den is smaller then the loft… but I want it to be my home. It also has no competing offers in on the property!

Thankfully, If either closes tomorrow, I’ll have the money to cover all my down payment and closing costs, and still be able to make my monthly mortgage, HOA, taxes, ect AND pay my rent at my current apartment since I can’t bail out on my lease with my roommate. Each month that goes by that I’m not in escrow is 795 in my pocket—plus whatever I put in my house down payment fund—that’s how I’m looking at things from now on because I will own something by the end of 2009!!!! And get 8,000 from Uncle Sam as a F.T.H.B.

CRAZY part Trois

So where does that leave me now?
I’m going to pull some money that would normally go into the House DP fund to finish off my Roth if I can’t do it by watching what I spend in the normal budget categories.

This month I’m also going to put aside $300 for my DMV fees for Next year. This is what my car tax will be for next year on a high end since they totally raised the prices insanely. My 2010 budget actually has a line item for this amount, but the bill is due earlier in the year and I don’t want to be scrambling next year since I know when the bill will be coming. So I’ll pay for the 2010 bill with 2009 money and be able to save in 2010 for 2011 and so on…

Next month--
I’m going to start setting aside the money for my Invisiline retainers ($800.00 total) because I may only have a few months left to go with my treatment… or it could get extended through the end of the year—but next month I’m going to put half the money aside. Basically, I’m worried about the “sudden storm syndrome.”

If you remember a bit back, I sent over to CALPERS a request to buy back my old retirement years from when I was 16. They received my packet of information March 20th and it takes 60 days to process. So this will hit in May and if I accept, they begin making deductions from my paychecks to pay for the retirement (I have $1,000 saved up for this and I’ll replenish whatever is missing (net after taxes) from my paychecks with this cash)—but it’s just another thing I have to remember about especially if I close in the month of may.

May is also my birthday and I’m throwing myself a killer party at my sisters place so I’ll be spending some money on that too.

2 comments:

  1. Yikes about the speeding ticket... I've been very lucky in that area, been pulled over 3 times ever but no ticket. I hope its not too expensive. I wish I had my stuff as well put together as you, I would love to take advavntage of this current housing market, but it is about 2 years still before I can even think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In some states if you show up for your court date you can get the ticket reduced to some sort of non-moving violation (defective equipment, parking, et cetera) if your previous record is clear of any such violations. It's worth calling your District Attorney's office, at least.

    ReplyDelete