Saturday, March 28, 2009

a question answered... and the condo updates...

Someone asked me if I paid my renters INS monthly. I actually pay once a year, but i divided the amount of my last primium by 12 and put that aside in savings every month. It's a manditory bill for me, but it really just ends up in a savings account. The same for my car insurance, but that's paid every 6 months since they wouldn't let me pay for a whole year up front.

I’m feeling a bit on the dumb side right now. I accidently paid my gad bill twice… and not by automatic payments either. I just forgot that I paid it and went ahead and paid it again…

That could have been another 18.00 to the roth ira… pity. I think I’m going to call them and ask me to cut me a check for the balance instead of leaving the credit. I also have a $5.00 check from gas receipts for work related jazzzzz, and roommate cut me her rent check so I also have her utility payments that I can toss toward the pretty Roth. I really hope that next month I’ll be able to wipe this goal away and just wait for my extra check to come in and finish doing its job. =)

In other news, As of today, my house down payment covers all my closings costs, down payment, etc for the condo I'm placing an offer on. Which makes me feel wonderfully accomplished. Although it kind of bugged me when my realtor asked me today if i had parents because they didn't come with me to look, and i brought my boyfriends mom and dad to look at the property before i put the offer in. And I hadn't mentioned them once.

I was personally hoping they take their time with the offer and the paperwork…. because I still have 8 rent payments left on my apartment lease. My apartment charges 2,000 to terminate a lease early, plus 230 for every month I’ve lived there because we got a deal on the rent. But it would be such a crazy ordeal with my roommate because she would have to give up independence if I were to break the lease. She can’t afford to live solo, and has no other roommates in line, so it’s back to dad’s and dad’s rules if I leave… I already know I won’t be breaking the lease since I made an agreement, and I’ll hold to it. Not to mention that I don’t want to screw up my credit score… But after August 1st rolls around, it would be cheaper to keep the place then to terminate (if i wanted to take that option) and move out (since I’d have to pay all the termination costs myself). So i'm hoping that whatever I buy closes after August 1st.

Especially if the place is a fixer upper. That way its beneficial for me to keep my apartment and stay there while repairs get underway so i'm not drowning in paint smell and stuff.

But apparently there are other offers on the condo... which means the odds of them accepting my offer and slim to none... especially since my real estate agent can't seem to find a fax number to give them my offer... I'm now feeling a little shaky about my original lack of a choice in a realtor... well that and beside her hitting a car and driving away still doesn't jive well.

But were still looking and I'm going back out to look in a different city on Monday with her. This is her last chance to impress me since i have not signed a buyer broker agreement. If she wow's me on Monday, then i'll keep her for a bit (a very short contract mind you)

I'm also asking my loan guy-- Jim-- to give me a good faith estimate going up to 165,000 (the original amount I was approved for.) That way when i go looking, I know what and how much I can afford and all the estimated costs that are associated with it. (that and the highest condo i'm looking at on Monday is for 165,000.)

the problem I'm having now is that i'm most likely going to have to purchase a one bedroom if I want to do it this year... which is harder to sell later on, but I do get the $8,000 from uncle sam if it's this year... and that's like a year of free mortgage payments... The 2 bedroom ones that interest me (which means they are at least 900-1000 square feet) are all in the 200,000-220,000 range... which is out of my range. So it's like i'm having this internal fight with myself over the governments offer of 8,000 and the freedom from no roommates.... or the keeping of the roommates and not getting the 8,000... and having to rent way longer as i try and save up for the 2 bedroom condo of my little hopes... and then watch the prices rise and me kick myself later for not buying when i physically can... assuming these people accept my offer.

poo

but alas, I keep going forward. I think I decided that if i buy a one bedroom it MUST have a fireplace, a detached garage, and a little patio that gets sunshine for my potted veggie garden I want to have. I keep going back and forth on the garage because most of the places are carports that have fireplaces... but i'm going to try to find a place that has both. Who know's... maybe i'll strike gold or something.

4 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more on your realtor being a nutjob (an unethical) I am glad that you pointed out that it bothered you that she hit the car. You pride yourself on your car - imagine if that was your car and she hit it? ... Realtors are a dime a dozen now - can her if you can. Maybe you could even go directly to a bank and see if a bank had a place or look into buying a foreclosure. There is such a glut of houses on the market maybe you can find something better without the costs of a realtor's commission. Good Luck, I hope this all works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buy the one bedroom that you can afford now - then in a year or two you can rent it and then buy the two bedroom with your boyfriend, who by then may be your husband. It will all work out. This is a buyers market and you could very well find a two bedroom from someone who is desperate!! You have time on your side since you want to stay in your apt until August anyway. So long as you close within 30 days of Nov. 30th it can all work out in your favor. Let God take care of the details ... and bring a more ethical realtor into the picture as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. home buying is a bit emotional, isn't it? But the best tip I ever got was "don't get so emotionally attached to a place that you can't walk away." That was great, because the first house I put an offer on had several offers, so I put my max on it and they called back the next day giving everyone the chance to amend their offer. Mind you, I LOVED this house, but I said no, my max offer stands. So I didn't get it, but I was ok with that.

    The first house I went to look at, the one that started me on the whole process, is the one I ended up going back to. It's funny, the first time I noticed the cosmetic things I didn't like, but after looking at another 20-30 houses, I started realizing the traits it had that most others didn't. (Big fenced in yard, two-car attached garage) and realized most of the cosmetic stuff could be updated with new paint, hardware, etc. And that the house was in really good structural condition, which was really important since I was only looking at older homes.

    Anyway, don't be sad if the first offer doesn't go through. You'll never know what else you'll find, and you do have plenty of time, what with the lease, and the tax credit being good until Dec. (Gives you more time to save money for paint, repairs, and upgrades, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds pretty exciting... it seems everybody's getting in on buying ...except me ...still have my debt.

    ReplyDelete