Sunday, December 7, 2008

xmas shopping complete

I must say that next year I'll be sticking to a more defined budget... and I got carried away... getting little somethings for everyone here and there... meh

But I paid all in cash and for that I can be proud.

any who, I'm sticking to a strict budget and I'm trying to beef up my emergency fund. I got a $450.00 rebate check from AAA so I'm adding $400.00 to my emergency fund!

I want to get it to $7,300 before I buy a condo (that would be 3 months worth of income with the condo budget i have planned out)... and I just learned that the government is giving a interest fee loan of 7500 to everyone who buys a house by July 1st, 2009.

Makes me wanna buy before July 1st... But I can't seem to get realistic about my goals for home ownership. It would be more financially stable to find a 1bedroom place, around 700 square feet... but those become harder to sell later down the line... and if I'm married in a year or two... a one bedroom condo could be too small to meet our needs... and the market too volatile to make a profit or break even (closing costs are gross).

so the two bedroom is ideal, around 1,000 square feet.... and I could make all the payments solo so when I do get hitched, the income rises (and renting out the spare room to a friend will generate income in the time being)... I just don't know if I could qualify for a loan that big... without 20% down..... and that's where all my freaking hesitation is coming from... I only make 43,000 a year and I want a condo that's priced at 209,900 low ball offer.

But waiting for a larger down payment could affect the rates that are so amazingly excellent right now... plus there is that lovely 7500 interest free loan from the government (pay 500 a year back for 15 years or when you sell the property) that I would miss out on... ... but 7,500 is a nice chunk of change to help with buffer costs and give me more of a cushion in case things went crazy my first year in the home.

It makes home ownership happier... ... ... but how on earth do i get qualified for the condo that fits in with the whole plan...

2 comments:

  1. "and I just learned that the government is giving a interest fee loan of 7500 to everyone who buys a house by July 1st, 2009"

    I am VERY interested in this. Could you elaborate?

    I am clamoring for an urban condo in my city of Worcester. I don't want to move back to Boston because of the high cost of living. Worcester seems just right, and if I can get my startup firing on all cylinders, I can just work from home all the time in about a year (hopefully).

    Anyways, congrats on your shopping, good luck moving forward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I'm interested in advertising on your blog http://ambellamy-womaninred.blogspot.com/. At the moment, I'm looking for intext links. Do you write paid posts? How much does it cost?
    My website provides information on credit deals and ways to manage one's finances.
    Waiting for your reply.

    ReplyDelete