Sunday, April 20, 2008

What I do... exactly

In regards to my previous post.... NKLSMOM asked me a question in the comments, so i figure i best post about it for clarification...
that's amazing. i haven't even started those kinds of projections.. what kind of work do you do???

What I DO & How it works:
I work for my local city in a gym basically... but as a city employee we don't pay into social security, we have the CalPERS system instead (so it can't ever go away and i'm really hard to fire too... CalPERS is also the same retirement program they have for teachers) The only thing that can change is the % of money i have to pay into it. Right now i pay 1% of my paycheck, and the city council has agreed to pay the over 6% of my salary... Not a bad match eh??? As long as I work there 5 years, I become vested and eligible. The longer you work, the better the benefits.

The standard formula is 2% at 55... which means if i'm hired at 25 and work there for 30 years and my highest annual salary is 45,000
.02 x 30 (years employed) = 60% of my highest annual salary
.60 x 45,000= 27,000
Annually i'd recieve 27,000 a year for 30 years which equals $810,000 (i'd have to pay taxes on this amount since its new income-- but i could count on having 27,000 every year until i turned 85).

the formula grows a bit the longer you stay working for the city after 55 years of age. the percentage pops from 2% up to 2.5 % at 65. It caps at age 65. But, since i'm so young and already employed, if i stay and work till i'm 65 years old instead of 60% of my salary, i'd get 107.5% of my salary!!!! But i'm also going to continue to max out my retirement accounts and the like because i can get laid off in the even of some really hard times... The longer I work, the more senority I get and the less likely that i'd be let go. So yea, i'm planning for the rainny day if all goes well and i get caught up the creek without a paddle

on the day to day at work:
I'm the girl who sits at the front desk at a local gym and reminds you to swip your membership card, grab a towel and drop it off when your leave. I sign people up, handle the front counter, I clean the gym, pick up trash outside by the pool, lifeguard a good 9 hours a week... and give all the guards their hourly breaks. I also help run the waterslide if were extra busy.

I'm also the "MOD" and run the place on the weekends.... so when the 16 year at the desk screws up, i fix it. I train the new employees, babysit the ones that still need help, and take car of all the daily paperwork and flyers at the desk. More recently i've been designing flyers and I update all of them too. Then I take care of monthly Stat and usage reports for the classes we offer.

Its nice because i do some office work, but i get to talk to members and since i'm a social person, (i'd die in a cubical) it works for me. Members get to know me, ask me about my life, ect.... and sometimes that's also the downfall when your can't stand some of the members or when your just not in the mood... you can't escape.

1 comment:

  1. You are a very bright young lady. If only I were that smart now (as an old lady) LOL Keep up the great retirement plan; it's awesome!

    check out my blog sometime:

    http://goalofzero.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete