Monday, June 4, 2007

I'm antsy

Check out my net worth on the side bar. I haven't included some bonds i own or the value of my car since i owe money on it. Even with last months huge debt pay down, i though my net worth would drop cause i'd have less cash... but it went up which is always a nice surprize!!!!

I'm just shy of 2,000 of positive net worth! I think once my car is paid off, i'll tally up some of the income i have with my bonds and add it in as a WAHOO moment for me. I also need to look into cashing some of the older bonds. (i think i'm going to put the money in an account at emigrant as apposed to just buying more bonds. ) part of me thinks i'll earn more money if they are converted to cash and kept in a high yield savings account.

I've also created a few new savings accounts for some new goals i have (and i'm not sure i've spelled them out completely, so i will here).

  1. Pay off my car 300 a month, plus half of whatever is left lying at Bank of America when the month is over. Credit card rebates and gas rebates from work will also go to paying off my car. Once this is done i'll be able to really focus on my savings goals. and put that $300 to some real work!

  2. 3 Month Emergency Fund in addition to the 1,000 padding in my checking account, i'd like to have 3 months worth or income set aside for huge emergencies in a savings acount over at Emigrant Direct. That would mean a ball park figure of $6,000.00 since i make about 2 grand a month. Until my car is paid off I can only afford to put 50 a month here. I wish it was more, but the car charges interest so most of my extra cash flow needs to be focused on paying off the car.
  3. Dental Hell Fund With my wisdom teeth finally removed, i should have enough space in my mouth to go ahead and be able to get braces again. I figure its best to do this now as apposed to later down the line. No idea how long i'll have to wear them, but one day many years down the line when i get married, i want straight teeth that close right... i probably won't get that for my graduation photos... but i'll guarantee i won't have braces on when i get married... nope. I'll take half the money that is left over at Bank of America at the end of the month and transfer it over to an account at Emigrant Direct. So this is my primary savings goal.

  4. House downpayment fund this won't get much contributions until my car is paid off, but the interest i earn from keeping my auto insurance and my renters insurance over at emigrant will go to this account. In addition to the tiny bit of interest i'll get from that money, i'm also planning on putting the interest from my 6 month emergency fund and the interest from my dental fund here as well.

  5. Special Day fund yes, i have too many accounts, lol. This is to kind of challenge me to drop my normal spending for things like groceries, hair cuts, fun, basic necessities, etc. Half the money that's left at the end of the month in a few of my sub accounts over at ING Direct will go into a Special day account over there. I'm not telling ya'll what that special day is, but hopefully it will motivate me to spend a little less. =)

  6. Fully Fund my Roth IRA for 2007, i can put away 4,000.... while i really don't think i can max it out [50 a month until my car is paid off] i'm gonna try really hard once i'm out of debt.... Next year the amount i can put in there increases to 5,000.
Why i'm antsy:
I really want the world of technology to be a lot faster and far more efficient at times. I opened my Roth over the weekend, and it hasn't shown up in my ING account... nor has any money been taken out of my Bofa account. And I know i'm being dumb... its only 6:30am in California... but i have a feeling of entitlement... that my account should already by accessable and i should be able to see instantly my money growing.... man i'm selfish. See what living in a "right now" society has done to me? There are so many times i wish life was simpler... that we still had more personal interactions with the people we come into contact on a day to day basis... I hate living in a "right now" world... but then their are times when our fast paced society isn't fast enough... i've never been too good with anticipation. Being pacient, yes... but you tell me you have a surprize for me and its a secret... i jiggle my foot... jump up and down, and pester you till you break. This is how i feel about my Roth... i want to see it... i'm so excited to have it, yet i must wait... its kind of like christmas... except i had to pay for it all... lol.

I also wish it was friday already, that way i'd have a paycheck to be able to throw at least the minimum at my debt... and to know what my first real electric bill is going to be (they will read the meter that day and i'm hoping i can see how much the bill will be on saturday or sunday at work).

3 comments:

  1. I think it's very smart of you to open a Roth IRA when you're so young. I wish I was as financially savvy as you are when I was in undergrad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so you know, the way you're calculating your net worth is not providing you with any level of accuracy. Net worth is assets-liabilities, so you really should include the current value of your car minus what you still owe. Just FYI>

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, i know that... I just havn't really looked up the kelly blue book value to add it in...

    also have some bonds i need to add up and tack on their too so it isn't too acurate quite yet but it will over the next couple of months.

    thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete