Sunday, April 1, 2007

Camping and Accounts.. alot about accounts

I got back from camping and had a blast... It cost me around 30 bucks to chip in for food and gas for the trip... (people bailed out so gas contributions had to go up... next time were collecting cash before we go)

So between camping and My anime girl birthday the "unbudgeted money" from left over budgets went by by... I've decided to close that account, and instead i made seperate accounts at ING for Grocery, Basic Necessities, Gas and Auto, and fun. When i move out, i'll add one in there for bills.

My goal is to cut back a little over the months and get enough cash in each of these sub accounts to fund one month of regular spending since my emergency fund is fully funded. It's a new little savings goal i can aim for since my efund is happy at 1,000 for now.

This new savings account system will help me be able to pay rent with the "due on the 1st" mentality. Up till now, i've been paying out the proper amounts each month, but on my time table... like 400 from paycheck 1... 700 from paycheck 2.... That doesn't work in the real world unless i can save a month in advance. but either way i'd like to prepare myself for their time table... just incase. I'd like to get to the point where an entire paycheck can be used to fund all my rent and bills... (either the first or the last). So if i can stock up enough in each of these sub categories, i won't have to worry about not being able to have grocerys etc, until the next paycheck comes, and my emergency fund will become an actual emergency fund... not what i can dip into in the mean time until i'm paid and pay back.

Since i started moving all my money to my ING Checking and then taking the leftovers to a savings account, i've noticed its easier to spend more money because the extra was becoming "budget fudge money." So, I've decided to go back to individual accounts instead of funneling the cash into my Electric Orange. Then as money is spent, i'll put it in the checking account to cover my CC bill from the sub accounts. Ya it's more work on me... but it will help me curb the spending i believe... I also figured it will be easier to get the smaller expenditures together then trying the 1 month in advance of rent thing (ie... Febuary's checks pay for april's rent instead of March's paychecks for April).

[oh and i cancelled the transfer of my retirement funds... i just couldn't do it yet... and that interest should go to retirement, not moving out.]

Here are my new savings goals... theres a lot going on.
  1. Dental--> I have to get my widsdom teeth out... 750 for laughing gas... 1000 to be knocked out. Assuming my paycheck was correct and that unexpected income was correct too... i have $714.59 sitting in my "Dental Hell" account at Emigrant. It would be nice to be knocked out... right now I'm just shooting to have enough to have the surgery with the gas (i'll need $35.41 if my paycheck was right... if not around 250). Any extra money from my Basic Necessities fund at the end of the month is going for dental work (since that's where that kind of stuff normally goes)... plus 1/2 of my overtime.
  2. Vegas Vacation--> need cash while i'm there for food and fun plus gas out there. The gas money i should have no problem... since i normally don't spend the 200 a month allotted for that stuff and i'm carpooling out there. 1/2 my fun account is going for vegas...
  3. RELAY FOR LIFE--> I'm helping out with my work team for relay for life.... I have a personal goal of raising $100.00 for the cause and i'm trying to get more people envolved too. I'm now an outreach minister for my new college group... and i like it.... (there the people i'm gonna help to get envolved in it.) My Recycle money and the money i get from turning in work gas slips will go to my fund raising goal. plus i'm going to get a luminar in honor of my dad. 1/2 the fun account is going to the relay... which isn't until June.
  4. Pay off my Car--> extra bill money... and 1/2 my overtime.
  5. Moving out--> monthly contributions like normal and the interest i get off of it too... Selling on half.com... which has really slowed down a bit... I'm not putting half my ot here because i've saved all the cash i was hoping to so far... and my dental bill is a priority (stay out of more debt) and so is my car... (Since i'm paying freeking interest... and this is debt)

At Emigrant this month i earned $23.15 in interest between the following accounts: (their balances are listed below)

  • Annual Car Insurane bill: $302.21
  • Dental Hell: $714.59
  • moving out: $1859.11
  • Retirement for Dummies: $1,426.77
  • Tuition Savings: $2,919.46

I earned 3.91 from ING

  • Electric Checking: 1,000.00 [my efund]
  • *Gas and Auto Fund: $141.54 [next auto check up will be around 250... plus gas for vegas]
  • *Grocery $1.00
  • *Basic Necessities $1.00
  • *fun $1.00

*i'll float things on my Credit card until i get paid and can put the cash into these accounts so my emergency fund doesn't collapse.

I also have $500 over at Bank of America 450 checking, 50 savings. I'll need that Checking account to pay rent... which means i need to order more checks soon...

1 comment:

  1. Trust me - you will want to be knocked out. Save the extra cash and do it right.

    ReplyDelete