Friday, January 12, 2007

A year without clothes--- the guidelines

Okay if i'm really going to stick to this commitment, i better lay out the rules.

What i won't do till January 10th, 2008:
  1. I will not buy shoes... flip flops, heels, boots, ..... nope and nada...
  2. I will not buy special occasion clothes...
  3. I will not buy jeans, tops, dresses, or any other clothes... regardless of weight loss or whatever.

What i will do:

  1. I will Master my sewing machine. i will be the queen of heming, altering, and fixing.
  2. I will purchase necessity garments only if needed. [this includes socks, underware, and bras---that's it] I look at these items as not really clothes, but rather as necessities to live life. these will be my only clothing related purchases for the year.
  3. I will accept hand me downs... and photo document the items here for you to see....what i don't want, i will bring to goodwill.
  4. I will open myself up to borrowing... i know i have at least one formal occasion this year and if i don't re-ware an old dress...(which i probably will) i won't dismiss the idea of borrowing a dress from my sister if i feel like it.

On January 10th, 2008 I will officially end my year without buying clothes.

~*~*~*~ Things I'm Still Debating On~*~*~*~

  • my family is notorious for giving clothes as gifts... i'm not sure what i'll do with these... or if i get giftcards to clothing only stores.... i'll have to cross this bridge when i get there.
  • if i get a new part time job over the summer... i know some places require you to purchase the uniform and they take the cash out of you paycheck...
  • if i need certain clothes for class--- ie if i take a ballet class and they require tights... then this would have to be purchased i believe...

okay i think those are good. hopefully i won't have to change it... I'm kind of excited to turn my back on the OC trends of buy buy buy!I told my friend Heather about it and she thinks its kind of fun and she's going to support me in my adventure with encouragement.

Wish me luck... the rules are set. and i'm off like a rocket!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment