Saturday, January 6, 2007

sabadical???

I was re-reading an article on MSN money about the "little brown dress"... and Alex's experiment to wear the same dress everyday, all year long i guess to make herself more aware of her consumerism and everything. It makes me wonder about my own consumerism and spending... again. If i ever tried something like Alex did, i would get a lot of flak from my family since i live in Southern Orange County and they frown that i don't own anything with name brand lables and that i like to play football with the boys and wear baseball caps occassionally. [The mental stress of putting up with that would be enough to make me crazy]

but part of me is wanting to take a sabatical from consumerism... or at least do something.

Why now?

I was really spoiled rotten over christmas. I pretty much got everything i "needed" and a lot of what i wanted... more then my fair share. So, last night when I hung out with my friends having a good old time at a roller rink, Blake gave me my be-lated christmas gift. It was a simon giftcard... I was grateful and this is normally what we exchange each year... [some giftcard unless we're amazingly cleaver and figure out something else]... but for some reason i wasn't itching to go blow it on something like i normally would... Sure i could find something to spend the money on [clothes, a season of 24 or Angel... movie tickets... or even something more useful like gym clothes] But i wasn't ready to go out and burn the cash on junk.

Could it be that these last few months of blogging have changed my outlook on money and things????? I sat there thinking later on... Do i really need anything right now? Then the thought became "what if i didn't buy anything i didn't need anymore?"

When it comes to movies with friends and dinners out... even skating sessions... the only reason i'm "game" is because i want to spend time with the people i love. I could care less if it was football on tuesday nights... or a lobster dinner.

I think i'm leaning towards a yearly sabadical from buying clothes... I'm pretty handy with a sewing machine and my mending abilities arn't that bad either. Plus i did get a few new things for x-mas too... [like socks] and my sister is the queen of hand me downs... While its nothing life altering or shattering... i'm really considering it.

A year without buying any new clothes... hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment