Friday, December 15, 2006

fixing my bike/ Vegas

Okay i've officially decided to take my bike down to the shop with heather and "fix it." I think i need new tires... but i'm not sure since i havn't touched it in years. I went ahead and called a local shop and the guy was really nice... He even told me i might not need new tires, just some air in them. He even gave me an estimate on new tires (around 15 bucks a piece, it depends on what kind... but very affordable)

Why the bike talk since i never mentioned owning a bike before?one word: VEGAS

I keep reading all these posts about how people use bikes and public transportation because its cheaper then traveling by car... and they are right...

I've noticed lately that my work is less than 5 miles away from home, and for the most part flat land... (with one huge ass hill)... and since i won't be driving that much to Fullerton since i'm on break right now, I'm pretty sure i should have excess money in my gas category. If i start biking to work on Saturdays, i should be able to save a bit more. If saturdays is managable, i can try to bike Sundays too. (i'm choosing the weekends because we open later so i don't have to get up at the butt crack of dawn to ride to work... and its safer because its lighter out)

I'm planning a vegas trip with heather and some friends for our 21st birthdays end of may, early june ish (which isn't in the budget... there is no trip category)... and I'd like to have some extra cash to take with me when i go. Her dad is getting a room for us so i need to worry about transportation, food, and fun money.

after running the numbers, at the end of the year i should have $130 plus my tax return not allotted anywhere (saying i have mad budgetting skills). I technically won't have the $130 bucks till december... but i can borrow this money from the efund since i know it will be replaced down the line (don't worry i'll put it back)... but i don't even know if i'm going to have a a tax return... and i'd like to have some responsible fun while i'm out there.

hense the bike... If i can take 1/2 the left over gas money and funnel it into a vegas savings account, i should be able to have a bit more fun while i'm out there and still keep up on my debt repayment plan.

I only want to put half the money i save in the Vegas fund because the other half i'm going to use to put towards my car maintance check that comes in 2,000 more miles. (every 5,000 my car gets serviced) plus i need to put tags on my car in march and i'm already worried I might have to use whatever odds and ends money i get in the next few months for this and not for moving out furniture and the like.... =(

So i'm going to try the bike... if it doesn't work out, Heather and I normally ride bikes down the beach in the summer and this way we won't have to alternate between her bike and her blades.

So how am i paying for the tires if i need them? (i'm figuring about $50 bucks)
  • Ovbiously, any fun money i have left at the end of the month. (right now $24.65 but i know i'm going to be going out a lot more to avoid being home and because friends will be in town from other colleges.) So instead of taking the $24 bucks and using it now, i'll use whatever is left for that.
  • I can use some of the Unbudgetted money (54.03) that's left after i get a $10 gift for the work party and some food to bring for the party...
  • and if i need to, i can take some out of my gas fund as an investment to keep more dollars here in the future. (especially since its got 154 bucks left and i still have half a tank.)

I think I would only feel right about going on the trip if I kept with my debt repayment, kept with retirement saving, and kept with saving to move out.

But i think i'll be able to take the trip. I just need to watch what i spend and not log onto AVON and i should be fine.

1 comment:

  1. Biking should be great for you! Make sure you wear a helmet.

    I would love to do that! It isn't possible for me, buit I'm so glad you are going to try it!!

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete