Monday, April 15, 2019

Dental Visits!

Now that little dude is 4, hubs and my dentist will let him come to their office for dental work.... which is amazing because we couldn't find a pediatric dentist that would take our insurance.

When little dude got teeth, we went to a dentist because that's what you are supposed to do! I had to pay $50 out of pocket for them to do basically nothing. They showed me how to brush his teeth and told me just to use water. He wasn't a fan of it ... and we had to pay because they didn't take our insurance... after they told us they took our insurance.  :/

It was supposed to be a mishap that the office was going to fix, but 6-months later we ended up having to pay out of pocket AGAIN, only for them to brush his teeth and introduce flossing.

After multiple calls, I couldn't find anyone that would take our insurance.... so I just stopped making appointments for him for a year..... or two.....  and crossed our fingers and figured we would wait until he was older.

Then we heard about a friend's kiddo that had multiple cavities and got worried.... I made a few more phone calls and still no one would take our insurance.

So we upped our cleaning game at home. Each morning little dude brushes his teeth with water, while I brush his stuffed tigers teeth.... We made it a game to make sure he got the top and bottom... and we do 10 seconds of "super fast" where he can brush like a maniac for fun. We end it with me checking his tiger's teeth, and then I "check" his by doing a quick brush job myself to make sure there isn't any major build up.

It was a struggle at first to get him to brush on his own, but once his tiger brushed, so did he.

At my dental visit I mentioned to our place (I switched to hub's dentist cause they were nicer) that we couldn't find anyone to take him, and they said when he turned 4 they would give it a go and see what they would let him do.... so we did a morning appointment

IT WAS AMAZING

Not only did these non-kiddo dentists let him squirt the water squirt-er, "hold Mr. Thirsty" the sucker upper, see the mirror, hold a mirror and watch, but they let him know what they would do before they did it... let him hear their tools, like the electric tooth cleaners.... he picked flavors for cleaners and had a GREAT experience.

They did a FULL cleaning... on his first visit. There were no stickers, or cartoons on the wall, and it was still awesome for him.

Since then we have been doing a great job at home, and now little dude lets us floss at home too!

No comments:

Post a Comment