Thursday, February 7, 2019

It's raining in the kitchen mom...

A story of home ownership from the end of 2018 that I didn't get a chance to post...

I started the day on 4 hours of sleep because little man just wouldn't go to bed... and to top it off, I needed to open another center at 5:15 am...So when it was finally 5 pm, I was already exhausted.

So of course at 5:40 pm I hear the following from my toddler when I finally took a moment for me on the computer while hubs too a quick shower:

"Hey mom... why is it raining in the kitchen?"

I don't know why all our water issues happen when hubs is in the shower... but a quick trip to the neighbors only to hear "we aren't using any water" doesn't send confidence my way because there is water dripping through my ceiling can lights...



At: 5:45 pm I make the initial call to HOA after hours answering team...

HOA rep calls me at 6:08 and says they will get the plumber out to assess...

7:19 pm... no one has called me back so I call plumbers directly and get their answering service..

Get a plumber tech on the phone at 7:59 saying HOA hasn't placed the call to authorize work... the water has stopped dripping but I have damage and the area is all wet.

Call HOA answering line at 8:00 pm.

At 8:08 get a call from the plumber that tech will come now and will arrive in 30 minutes, not the 90 minutes quoted earlier and they have HOA approval...

By 8:10 tech arrives, takes one look and heads upstairs to neighbors unit.... Neighbors claim they were not using water, but let him in. Tech finds water under their sink but no leaks when he runs the hot and cold water... (He assumes a user error like a clogged sink or something cause the water to come through)...

So since its not leaking when tech arrives, hes not cutting the drywall since the HOA says he can only cut the drywall if the water is leaking on arrival...

So now we hit the ceiling with box fans.

HOA after hours gal is texting the HOA board rep to see if the HOA will repair the visible crack in my drywall, or if its the responsibility of the owner above me.... or me...

Then the same neighbors above me, who started ripping out their flooring at 6 pm, tell me they won't be done  ripping out the flooring in the room directly above little dude until AFTER 9 pm. (They know city quiet hours are 8 pm... and that my kid goes to bed at 8 pm... )

Still hear banging at 10 pm from floor removal.

Neighbors also conveniently don't have their landlords phone number.

-----
Next day I get a call from the after hours HOA gal, telling me the owners above me need to pay for fix my ceiling... so I email HOA board rep to request homeowner contact info or for them to contact on my behalf since renters above me don't have the owners phone number.

HOA does not return my email.

Neighbors give me owners number! (apparently they just got a new phone and that's why they didn't have it. Faith restored in mankind).

I call the owner, inform him of what happen... and he's not happy. I told him, what the HOA told me and that I just wanted it repaired, no drama. He appreciates me being flexible and not yelling about it, so he makes arrangements to send his son over to take pictures to get a contractor out to fix it.

A days later, HOA then sends someone over to inspect the drywall to make sure it is not still wet. (it's not)... then owners son comes by about a week after the damage and takes pictures for his dad...

Then apparently the HOA sends another company over to measure to replace the damaged drywall and get a quote???

And I get called by another company on behalf of the HOA to also inspect the area????

Owner of the unit above me comes by with his son to "fix it" but I told them about the two companies the HOA has dispatched, so maybe they are fixing it???? We decide to wait and I tell him i'll call him back if the HOA doesn't fix it. (he also didn't show up with a contractor, so I was really glad the HOA actually had a couple people come take a look).

HOA has company come over and fix the seam, and re-texture the ceiling...

No more crack!!! (pre paint job)

and a few days later, they come and paint the area.

So THAT water issue is fixed... (yes, that implies more water problems coming our way!)

No comments:

Post a Comment