Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Christmas in November

As a part of prepping the condo for our little bundle of joy, South County Boy struck a bargin with me the other day.

I could set up and have Christmas now, if it meant I would really consider pairing down our Christmas decorations. I love Christmas... and Christmas music... and lights.... and holiday cheer... and my decorations so it wasn't a hard sell to get me to want to decorate...

I knew it would be a harder sell to get me to pair my decorations down... or at least I thought it would be.

As I started taking things down and figuring out where I wanted to place things, I really liked what I did for "Fall." In hindsight I wish I would have taken a picture of it to show you all, but we decorated just the front door area and the living room and left the rest of the house all normal like. Keeping these parameters in mind, I set out to decorate...

When I was done, I had a huge pile of stuff I didn't feel like we should put up.

It was just as simple as that. I found I rather liked some of our simpler decorations instead of our more elaborate ones... including Santa's Village. Sure, I could have fit the entirety of my little houses and fake snow all under our TV unit, but I just didn't want to. For those of you who don't know, a few of the houses in my village are in fact the only things I have from my grandpa... and now i'm considering calling my mom and my sister to offer the little houses to them if they want them.

We also caved and finally replaced the horrible $15 fake Christmas tree I had been using since I was 19 and moved out in my first apartment. South County Boy tried to put it up, got half way done with it and just told me no...

It was too horrible... and I agreed.

My mom had purchased a new pre-lit tree and had offered us her old beautiful tree for free, so we drove over and SCB lugged the 56 lb monstrosity to the condo and started to set it up... only to find out it was simply too large for our tiny place...

So we broke down and bought our dream tree. It already has lights on it (but SCB knows how to replace them when they die), its narrower than most fuller trees.... and IT SPINS!!!!!!!! We got it at Walmart for $130 and it has some pine cones and extra fuzzy branches that really makes it look like a nice artificial tree. We bought a $30 tree skirt, some silver and red filler bulbs (about $12 for both containers), a bit of plain, simple garland ($8) which we are still going to put up around the house, and some snowflake window stickers ($6).

All in all about $200.

We will need to be really careful this month with the rest of our spending since we want to buy Eli's wardrobe from Ikea (about $200 we think) and we already placed the $500 order for our murphy bed which should be here in 10 days for SCB to start putting together... and I want to do food storage shopping... but we will see!

No comments:

Post a Comment