Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Puncture Wound

So we have been uber crazy busy the last few days with work.. and SCB more so than normal since they have been prepping for inventory... Which means he's been slacking on his chores because he's been going in early and staying late at work...

But the problem is, so have I. 

So the other night I made a plea and asked SCB to really try and do his chores regularly... pointing out that he hadn't done dishes in a few days but managed to play video games... often... and how I wasn't able to slack on mine at all and that I really just needed help.

He was a little frustrated with the whole situation and huffed off to the kitchen in the middle of the night to do the dishes. He was making a fair amount of noise and apparently decided not to bring his glasses with him since they were by the bed....

and without his glasses, he can't see more than 5 inches away from his face...

so he was doing the dishes blind... without his glasses... glasses he needs to see things with.

Since he wasn't being careful in his angry attempt at housework, as he was finishing, he dropped something on the floor and bent down to pick it up...

And then the screaming was unleashed...

He had dropped the meat thermometer on the floor....

and without his glasses on he didn't realize he was reaching for the meat thermometer.... Which had landed with the pointy end towards his now outstretched palm... and he was grabbing it fast because he was upset that it fell to the floor...

so he ended up forcing the pointed end of the meat thermometer into the lower part of his palm about 2 inches into his wrist... all thankfully near the surface of his skin.

By the time I heard the screaming and got to the kitchen he had already ripped the thermometer out of his hand so I had no clue why he was screaming bloody murder... (nor did our neighbors who would have thought my husband was a sailor and not a Mormon...).

All he kept saying was that he had been impaled over and over again...

(as I type this I keep thinking of that scene in Frozen when Olaf looks down and says, oh look, i've been impaled... but this was much more serious.) 

There wasn't any blood spouting out from the hole, but he wasn't going to let me help him bandage anything either. I kept telling him we should go to the ER, but he said no.

He was determined to fix it himself so he stormed to the bathroom and with one hand grabbed the medic bag, then proceeded to sit down at the kitchen table with his hand shaking while he proceeded to wrap his hand with gauze and tape.... all one handed... Because his wife who is trained in first aid could not be trusted......

I'm pretty sure he was going into some type of shock because his hand was shaking pretty badly....  but all he would let me do was let me get him some ibuprofen... I made sure he could move all his fingers and had feeling in them before he went to bed with his arm over his head... but he wouldn't let me help him otherwise.

The next morning he was in much better spirits, but he didn't have any strength to close anything with his hand... so I did what any good wife would do.

I mocked him while he tried to put on his socks and took pictures until he decided to call the doctor for an appointment.


He made a doctors appointment and the doctor told him he was VERY LUCKY and didn't hit the nerve or the vain. He's taking antibiotics since the major worry is infection.

SOOOOOOO Lucky here folks... You have no idea how...

No comments:

Post a Comment