Thursday, June 9, 2011

Work Changes...

There have been a lot of changes going on at work in order to survive another budget cycle without laying off any employees... 


In the past we have avoided layoffs by using internal recruitment to promote people to necessary positions... while leaving other positions unfilled and taken off the books (17 full time equivalent positions to date). At the same time though, some people have been told that they will need to be retrained to work in another department doing a different job.


Well this week I was told we would be inheriting someone from another department ...


and that they would be working at my facility...


during my work hours...


and my schedule would be changing...


(WHAT?!?!?!?)


Thankfully, there is some good news associated with it. My job and position are not in jeopardy and I won't be leaving my department... I will actually be getting a new work schedule starting next week BECAUSE I've been so helpful the last few months (all that extra work and taking initiative to get cross trained has really paid off!).  


Apparently the DIRECTOR of my department told my boss's boss that since we were getting another employee that HE got dibs on ME... so my boss's boss told him he could have me 2 days a week.


They both think I'm a better candidate to take on some new work projects over at City Hall than to give those tasks to the person we are inheriting... (which doesn't speak very highly of her since she WAS at City Hall before and essentially I don't think shes thrilled with the change because shes going from an 8 to 5 schedule to a 5am-1pm schedule)...


So now I'm working Monday - Friday (I GET WEEKENDS OFF!!!) & Monday's and Friday's I'll spend working at City Hall for business hours... So I now only have 3 days of 5am at the gym!!!     =)

1 comment: