Wednesday, June 29, 2011

My Bridal Shower... (somethings will never change)

On Sunday my wonderful "grandma" (a fantastic woman from my church that I one day walked up to and told her I decided she got to be my grandma--- and has treated me like family from that day) threw me a wonderful bridal shower at her home. Not only did she do the invites, the games, prizes, and all the food... (she wouldn't let me or my bridesmaids lift a finger to help her with anything despite multiple offers) but she helped make the day truly special for me. 

I was so touched by all of her prep work and I had a wonderful time seeing my friends and just getting excited for the big day :) We love everything we got from the shower and we feel truly blessed by the people in our lives. I was completely blown away by the generosity of the family that has pretty much adopted me and let me move in with them the last 4 months or so... I honestly didn't know what it was like to have a mom around until I moved in with them... No ulterior motives... no hidden agendas... just caring, compassion, and love... 

Everything was going perfect until the last guests walked in late... my mom, my sister, and my "aunt" (my mom's best friend)...

After welcoming them inside and introducing them to everyone, my sister and aunt went out to the car because they "forgot" something... Before they left they grabbed 2 empty cups from the kitchen when they thought I wasn't looking...  and when they came back in, those same cups were magically full ... and you get one guess what was inside...  yup, alcohol.

They couldn't come and stay 2 hours without boozing up at my bridal shower... Despite letting them know that I didn't want to have anything there because the host doesn't drink and it would be completely inappropriate with this setting... but they didn't care... 

I didn't say anything to them at the shower because I didn't want to hurt my "grandma's" feelings because she had gone to so much work to throw me an amazing shower that I couldn't risk it going up in smoke so I pretended I didn't notice.

My sister in particular was quite loud and argumentative during all the games (she's also a poor looser and they kept doing all the games "together" so my sister could win more even though you were supposed to do them by yourself...) 

My mom would occasionally get up and follow me to the kitchen to ask me if my bridesmaid was talking behind her back... or she would make some off handed comment to someone about how I call the host my "grandma" when she's not really my grandma... and when she met the wonderful woman who has been letting me live with her the past 4 months... it was really, lets just say "interesting"...
 

After the shower died down and I headed home to SCB and I knew I had to nip the situation in the butt with the drinking before it rolled over to the wedding... so I called my mom hoping that would be the best drama free route...


It wasn't.


When I let her know that I knew my aunt and sister were drinking at the shower (I didn't accuse her to be on the safe side) and I asked her to please just tell them not to drink or bring alcohol to the wedding since it would come better from her then from me...

and she defended them... asking me if they looked drunk... saying it was only a drink or two... and that my aunt is going through a hard time and I shouldn't make a big deal about it... and she kept saying they found alcohol in "grandmas" kitchen so she couldn't possibly be offended if she even noticed... etc etc... I just can't believe the nerve some people have.


So I basically told her to forget it and i'd handle it myself... but she told me she'd call my sister and tell her and immediately hung up on me and beat me to the punch... 

So when my sister rang me back I had to endure the horrible conversation with her about her blaming me for everything saying I told her she could bring it to the shower, etc and how i'm "this" and "i'm that"... 

All I could really do was be as level headed as possible. If it went the wrong way she'd probably either show up slammed to the wedding and make a scene and ruin it for me, or she wouldn't come and force my mom to choose daughters and then they both wouldn't be there. 


So I told her I was sorry if I had confused her or if I had been unclear about the shower... and I wasn't trying to make a big deal about it, "what's done is done," etc but for the wedding, under no circumstances is any alcohol to be brought to the wedding or the reception.  


(cricket cricket)
 

I have no idea if she will oblige especially since she threatening to ruin my batchelorette party in the "heat of the screaming" that came with the phone call...  If she shows up drunk to my wedding she will be escourted off before I even have to deal with her (or hopefully see her since she made it clear she didn't want to get ready with us the day of)... if she brings any with her she will be asked to leave and I won't be the one having to tell her because all of my bridemaids, groomsmen, and male guests have told me they will handle it. 

I'm just praying we won't have to call the police... Just when I thought there was nothing to worry about anymore?? I'll be able to gauge everything better after the bachelorette party this weekend... so hopefully we will have a heads up... 


but I can see something bad coming... I just have this horrible feeling... I kind of wish they would just blow up before the wedding and refuse to come at this point...

8 comments:

  1. *sigh* I don't know what to say - and whatever I would say would come out wrong. But just know that you have a friend-through-the-wires here in Houston praying for you and hoping that your day - YOUR day - goes off without a hitch and is drama free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to be blunt, but do not hesitate to call the police on her sorry arse if she pulls a
    stunt like that at your wedding. And
    I would seriously think about cutting her out of your life. Family or not, she sounds like more trouble than she's worth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry that you have to deal with an alcoholic in your family. Until she is sober, it won't change because the alcohol has a strong hold on her life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear this. At least you are prepared because you know what might happen and so are ready with your "back up troops" if someone does cause offence and has to be removed. Fingers crossed it won't come to that and they will behave the way one would wish. I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just couldn't get this situation out of my mind and reread the piece. You have the bachelorette party coming up- this should be the final chance, if those folks who spoiled your shower pull anything at all, refuse to have them at the wedding. You have made it perfectly clear how you expect them to behave. I agree with Anonymous that the time may have come to cut them out of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only problem with "dis-inviting" them at this point is that they would just show up to the wedding anyway to purposefully ruin it or make a scene to upset me and make my fiance's family very uncomfortable...

    best case scenario my sister would just throw a fit and convince my mom not to show up as well to hurt me...

    Well just have to see how Saturday goes... hopefully well... but if she brings anything to the wedding she will be asked to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  7. At the last session we had with the pastor who's marrying us, he brought up what happened (his wife was at the shower).

    He was hesitant to bring it up at first, but knowing me a few years he knows my story pretty well... and wanted to talk about it.

    He just sadly nodded and told me that he finally got the real picture behind why I stopped talking to my mom for 2 years... and why I kept my sister at an arms reach...

    (He never really understood the whole story... and would occasionally mention reconciliation and forgiveness--- but he never pushed it at me, just casually left it floating around.)

    Now he sees the story in a whole new light...

    ReplyDelete