Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Our "giving" for this month...


If you have been following the blog, you know that my church isn't taking offering/tithing this month...

For those of you who don't know... Last year I did what I believed was the impossible. I walked 26.2 miles to find homes for children abused and abandoned in the foster and adoption system right here in Orange County, LA County, and Riverside County... and lived to tell the tale...

And I did it again on March 20th... in 7hrs, 23 mins, 28 seconds.... in a torential rain storm... and I raised $1,354.28!

Yes, I was one of the few crazy people who participated in the LA Marathon on behalf of Child S.H.A.R.E, a nonprofit agency that helps solve the solution for every beat up, bruised, and abandon child.
To date, Child S.H.A.R.E. has provided stability to over 2,700 children, has recruited over 900 families to open their homes and their hearts, and has crushed the national adoption rate by providing families that are adopting children at double the rate of the state system... at a fraction of the cost. In fact, Child S.H.A.R.E. families are consistently honored, featured, and recognized throughout the country as models of healthy foster parenting.

Child S.H.A.R.E. exists to offer hope and wholeness and to work toward healing, empowerment and justice for foster children by equipping families, individuals, volunteers and faith communities to provide and support foster and adoptive homes.
This month, Child S.H.A.R.E. got to participate in the Pasadena Marathon and bike tour (no i didn't run it!) but since my church isn't collecting offering this month, my fiance and I decided that we would sponsor someone. We originally wanted to sponsor 2 people for $1 a mile, but no one registered for the daunting 26.2 mile marathon... and of the 2 people signed up for the half marathon, only one finished... again in the rain.
So we chose to sponsor Sara Jean. (& you can too by visiting her firstgiving page)

She finished the entire 13.1 miles to find safe and loving homes for kids who desperately need them. If you have read the "about me page" then you know why this hits near and dear to my heart... I should have been pulled out and put into foster care... but I fell through the cracks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment