Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Another offer i'm not sure what to do with...???

My sister called me today... Apparently she found this deal on line for a 3 and a half hour cruise around Dana Point Harbor with a nice buffet dinner with drinks and a band with a dance floor... and she mentioned it to my mom...

and now it looks like my mom, her boyfriend, my sister, & her fiance are all going to get the voucher so they can pick a day to go on a Sunday and they want to know if South County Boy and I want to get voucher's too so the "whole family" can go...  It's $40 a person plus taxes and stuff... so its going to be around $100.00 for us to go...

Now if you remember back to April 4th and my conversation with my mom at Stein Mart , I was really upset when I found out how the "whole family" went to dinner without even inviting my fiance and I... and while this time we got the invite... I don't know what to do because it's going to cost us a lot of money to "be included in the family" ...

Technically we have the money because of the extra work I've been doing... But we weren't planning on spending that extra money on one night on the town... (especially since for my birthday my fiance let me start my garden early as his present to me.... so we dropped about $40 between Lowes and Walmart on plants and soil... and part of his gift to me is to water the plants every morning since i'll be staying at the family from church and won't be able to... but i'll get to enjoy the flowers all season long and read out there... one of my favorite things to do-- he also got me a couple books from the $1 bookstore the other day.)

So, while we have the money... I don't know if its worth forking over it all for one night out. I'm sure we would have a really great time, take a load of pictures, and really enjoy ourselves... but that's money we could put towards our current non existent honeymoon... (or maybe even use something like that for our make shift honeymoon if the cruise doesn't work out???)

hmmmmm..... Well, we have till tomorrow night to make up our minds... Care to weigh in?

5 comments:

  1. Why yes, yes I do. Thanks for asking! :)

    I think you should go. Enjoy yourselves...have a great time!

    Harking back to an earlier post I'm wondering if some of your budgeting burnout isn't caused by the fact that you guys have been living on SUCH a tight budget with no room for any fun money. That's hard to do even for the most frugal of us especially at the beginning of a relationship. You guys kind of skipped the wining and dining phase and went right into the scrimping and saving phase. So I think you should give yourselves a HUGE break, cut yourselves some slack and take this opportunity.

    One nice thing about a cruise, is that if mom and sis start to bug you, then you can always meander to the other end of the boat and make it just about you and DF.

    Also, (sorry, I'm on a roll now) in regards to the honeymoon, I think once boyfriend's checks start rolling in that you should have no qualms about throwing most of them at the honeymoon fund. You only have what, five months until the wedding. Retirement and EF's can wait that long. Plan a nice trip for yourselves and all of that will still be waiting for you when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really a tough call. I would explain to my family that my fiance and I would really like to save up for a honeymoon. I'd tell them that the $100 for that 3 hour cruise would go a long way toward helping us to achieve our goal.

    In the past your family has not always been sympathetic toward the sacrifices that you make for your goals, so they could still flip out. If you don't want to take a chance on them getting upset, then just go.

    Like you said you guys would definitely have a good time and get plenty of family photos.

    Good Luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I agree with points from both of the previous comments, I have to say that my advice is to follow the first--if this fits into your budget, you should take the break! These small moments/memories will make such a big impact on your motivation, bond, etc. $100 is a nominal price to pay for such a fun night IMO. Whatever you do, make sure you do this for you--it's not about your family or the $$; it's more about what you need, what you & your DF need, at this moment. Have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't go.

    We just turned down a similar thing in our family, and while people were not happy we just felt it wasn't something we wanted to spend money on when we had goals for debt repayment, etc. With a wedding and honeymoon coming up I'd say even more reason to keep to your intended budget.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just looked up the information on-line... and my sister lied to me... First, you can buy the tickets for 5 more days... and second, the description she told me is very different from the one I read on-line... so I checked out the original website (in addition to the discount one), and while my sister made it sound like a nice elegant night out...

    It's essentially like a LA Night Club on the water... Not a nice dinner cruise with some dancing. The buffet dinner, is only appetizers... and its described as "cruising p-diddy style"

    Which is not something that my fiance and I are all about... So tonight as we celebrate "Mother's day" i'll be forced to tell her no... and why... Wish me luck

    ReplyDelete