Saturday, May 29, 2010

Kiva interesting tidbits

I was looking at my KIVA Account today, and it says i've lent out $375.00... which is true... but it didn't take me $375.00 to lend $375.00 to people all over the world.

At one point I had put $150.00 into KIVA using my Credit Card rebate checks... whenever i got that "free money" i plugged it into Kiva and loaned it to someone who needed it. Ya, i didn't get interest on the money... and it took some people a while to pay it all back... but there's something about the simple power of KIVA that's addicting... I'm helping people all over the world... and its fantastic.

I then took out $100.51 from the account when i was busy with finding my condo and moving and remodeling and stuff and since I started re-lending again, i've put back $75.51

So in reality, I only have $125.00 tied up in Kiva... but because I've been re-lending the funds out as they get paid back to me, that $125.00 turned into $375.00 of lending power.

For June, I have enough $$$ in repayments that I won't have to put any cash into the account to make a loan for June... so that same $125.00 will grow into $400.00. Sure i'll probably have to put $25 in for July... but its kind of mind boggling to see the trickle down effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment