Sunday, October 5, 2008

Changing my retirement

They made me move my roth ira (from ING DIRECT) over to share builder... and i don't really like it. The annual maint fee is more... and its costs money to have an automatic investment plan.

So I'm thinking of a new plan. i'm going to sporatically buy $700.00 worth of mutual funds over Oct, Nov, and Dec for 2008 using the sharebuilder to bring the amount i've contributed in total to 8,000. I'll have $1,000 more to contribute for 2008 so I started browsing the website for other retirement avenues (I really like ING for some reason and i'd like to stay there and keep it simple.)

Well on the website I read up on their Roth IRA savings accounts... So I'm going to start a Roth IRA savings account with the remaining $1,000.00 that i have left to invest for 2008. That still keeps my contributions for 2008 to $5,000.00 for IRA's.

I'll then use that money in the Roth IRA Savings account to purchase Roth IRA CD's. I'll get a small guaranteed return... but my money will grow slowly.... I figure i'm young (22) and I have 2 years of contributions mostly floating in mutual funds (not insured so i could technically loose it all). But I also have the ability to make some money when the market rebalances in a few years.
I can handle that... I bought some high... and some low. Hense keeping the last 700 for investments because the market is only going to go down from here. It will drop the average amount i need to stock to reach before i see a profit again.

But I also want compound interest on my side. I'm 22 and I have a good few decades to make that interest my friend... Yes, i could theoretically double my money in mutual funds over time and not pay a dime in interest down the line... But I want gains... not losses... I've never been a risk taker... (but i'm very good at the game of risk because i take things over slowly...)

I guess i figure if i start early (most retirement calculators say to start at 25 and I got a few more years on that too. ) that compound tax free interest will be pretty. I like pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment