Monday, January 28, 2008

Roommate

Dee wants to move out before the lease is up... her mom passed away and the funeral was on friday/saturday... and she's got a lot of siblings that will need to be taken care of and a very busy dad... She told me she'd pay her share of the rent regardless because her name is on the lease.... but she asked if i could find someone to rent out her room so she didn't have to pay for the place anymore.... she told me if i found someone who wanted to move in but couldn't afford the %600, that she'd cover the other amount.

Well i found someone that day. (my read headed friend) so I told him about it and he was all game to move in and pay $450 a month and Dee was okay with cover the extra $150 a month... She'd be out my March 1st and would just cut me a check for the money... she'd take her stuff out and He would move in... They agreed... Done Deal right????

Last night she text me saying she wasn't sure if she was leaving.... wouldn't be gone by the first... that $150 was a lot to pay not to live somewhere and that she'd need to get a storage unit too....... needed time to think and everything....

So I kindly told her that it's her place and her choice and she can take the time to think it over.... but to keep in mind my friend.... and that i didn't want to keep going back and forth with him on whether he's moving...

She snapped back that its her name on the lease and went from there

So i told her take her time and let me know... He'd probably still be interested later down the line, but that she can't be mad if he doesn't want to move in after March and only be there 2-3 months before we have to move again...


I've been so cool about all of this... but right now i'm frustrated with her... who texts that kind of crap???? I have half a mind just to tell her i won't rent out the room and that she's got to pay the $600 anyway..... (but i won't do that.... i want to right now.... but i won't do that)

3 comments:

  1. Honestly, I think your roommate is being totally silly about this. She asked you to find someone and you did.

    You are being too nice and the smartest thing would be to tell her that it's fine if she wants to take her time but you will not be responsible for finding someone else for her when she's finally ready to make a decision.

    Of course, that's just me and I'm not that nice of a person...

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's obviously going through a hard time, she just lost her mother! I agree that it's her responsibility to cover rent but it's her choice to stay there or not because it's her name on the lease. As long as the rent gets paid, I wouldn't really worry about it. You seem to be stressing over her problem and that's not going to help anyone! Imagine if you were in her place, how you would feel. Also, if she doesn't pay the rent, again, it's her name on the lease. You'd only be legally responsible for her rent if only your name was on the lease.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only been supportive to her and I've told her from the get go to take as much time as she needs.... I was only venting on-line out of frustration so i didn't take it out on her... since this is 2 roommates leaving in 2 months...

    ReplyDelete